News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Feature Request: simultaneous ringing / nomorobo support.

Started by seezee, August 31, 2018, 02:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seezee

I'd like to use the NOMOROBO service with OBiTalk. This is the text of the email they sent me when I inquired about compatibility:

QuoteThanks for reaching out. Nomorobo is currently supported on these VoIP landline carriers: Adams Cable Service, AT&T U-verse, BroadVoice/Phone Power, Comcast Xfinity, ECFiber.net, Frontier Communications, Ooma Premier, Optimum, RCN, Service Electric, SELCO, Spectrum (Formerly Time Warner, Spectrum, & Bright House), Sonic, SureWest, Voip.ms, Voipo, Vonage, Wave, & 1-VoIP.

If your carrier is not currently supported you can still help! Please call your carrier and request that they add Simultaneous Ringing to their service so you can finally stop getting robocalls. The more people that call them, the better.

Thanks for your interest in Nomorobo, we will alert you as additional carriers become available.

A_Friend

I'm going to assume you mean Google Voice and not Obitalk.  It's highly unlikely anyone is robocalling the Obitalk network of 9-digit numbers.

If there was some way to add the NOMOROBO phone number as a linked number to Google Voice, you could accommodate simultaneous ring easily.  However, there's no way to validate a phone number that you can't answer directly. 

SO, you can either pay for a SIP service to provide you a DID you could forward to NOMOROBO and link that to your GV number...

Or maybe something more complicated.  Which Obihai device do you own?

seezee

Thank you for clarifying that. I've got the OBiTalk 200.

Taoman

It's a simple matter to fork all incoming GV calls to a free tollfree service using a Nomorobo 800 number. No need to validate anything.
Or if you want to make an account and validate, choose Vonage as your carrier and you will receive a tollfree number to use.*

You need a SIP trunk to route the call thru. If you don't have one you can make a dummy one.

This is an example of one of my InboundCallRoutes that is forking (simul ring) to Nomorobo.

{ph,sp2(18667326184@switch.starcompartners.com;ui=$1)}

*I just added my secondary GV number to my Nomorobo account, chose Vonage as the carrier and received an 877 tollfree number to use. I then validated the number using InboundCallRoute format listed above.

A_Friend

Quote from: Taoman on August 31, 2018, 09:27:31 PM

This is an example of one of my InboundCallRoutes that is forking (simul ring) to Nomorobo.

*I just added my secondary GV number to my Nomorobo account, chose Vonage as the carrier and received an 877 tollfree number to use. I then validated the number using InboundCallRoute format listed above.

I keep forgetting you can use inbound call route to both forward a call and ring the local phone.  That's a neat trick.  Also neat is using starcompartners as a free carrier for the toll-free number.  Not sure I fully understand their web page, https://www.starcompartners.com/termination#tollfree -- does this mean it's open for tollfree numbers, that you don't have to sign up to use it?  The only way I knew how to do that was via SIPBroker, but that's often pretty slow to connect.

One last question...  What is the "ui=$1" at the end of that forked route doing?  I haven't run into that before, and even searching the Admin Guide isn't giving me a text search match.

zorlac

It's a simple matter to fork all incoming GV calls to a free tollfree service using a Nomorobo 800 number. No need to validate anything.
Or if you want to make an account and validate, choose Vonage as your carrier and you will receive a tollfree number to use.*

You need a SIP trunk to route the call thru. If you don't have one you can make a dummy one.

Now that GV is using SIP do I just add this "ph,sp2(18667326184@switch.starcompartners.com;ui=$1)" to sp1 & 2 X_InboundCallRoutes?
I have GV #'s in SP1&2 and Anveo in SP4 only SP3 is unused
I tried it with & without the brackets & the nomorobo test call fails.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Taoman

zorlac

Thanks Taoman for the QUICK reply, that did the trick!
You just happening to be on the forum tonight saved me from going down the rabbit hole!  :D

FWIW, this is the string I put into SP1&2 services via the Polycom portal
First uncheck "Device Default" and "OBiTALK Settings"
X_InboundCallRoute   ph,sp4(18667326184@switch.starcompartners.com;ui=$1)

se1961

@Taoman, THANK you!! You just saved my butt!! I have been trying to set up the nomorobo as discussed, but every time I entered a "dummy" carrier they assigned me a local DID, and I was stumped. As soon as I chose Vonage, I got an 877 number! Yay! For all who are having problems with this, it appears to make a difference which carrier you choose.  :)

N7AS

Quote from: A_Friend on September 01, 2018, 02:15:06 AM
One last question...  What is the "ui=$1" at the end of that forked route doing?  I haven't run into that before, and even searching the Admin Guide isn't giving me a text search match.

The ui=$1 string sends the inbound CID to NoMoRobo for processing.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

N7AS

Go to
Voice Services > SP1 Service  > X_InboundCallRoute
Enter:   ph,sp1(18776593620@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=$1)
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Taoman

Quote from: lstabbyl on May 27, 2020, 12:43:20 AM
Can someone please explain this to me like I'm 5?

Since SP1 is configured for GV, you will need to make a dummy account on SP2. Follow azrobert's instructions from the url listed below:*

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10368.msg68413#msg68413

*But don't use tf.callwithus.com as that no longer works.  Try using switch.starcompartners.com.

Redbeard25

Hey everyone,

When I use switch.starcompartners.com, I'm getting these errors in the Call History.

Call Failed (486 Busy Here; SP2(1877nomorobonumber@switch.starcompartners.com;ui=+18882804331))

(and yes, the nomorobo number is the number.) :D

Any tips?

Taoman

Quote from: Redbeard25 on December 28, 2020, 08:36:49 AM

When I use switch.starcompartners.com, I'm getting these errors in the Call History.

There is no error. That's how it works if the number presented to Nomorobo isn't in their database. 8882804331 is a valid Amazon customer support number. Yes, there are robocallers using that number apparently but the number is not in Nomorobo's database.

So it is working as designed. If you're getting repeated calls from that number you'll need to block it manually.