News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Support for notification popups on computers

Started by MichiganTelephone, February 18, 2011, 10:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

infin8loop

I've seen the syslog approach to creating a pop-up mentioned but not implemented.  The attached is a "proof of concept" perl script that I hacked together.   There are some comments in the code.  If you are more proficient in perl than I am (which wouldn't take much!), feel free to use, improve, or do with it what you will.

infin8loop   
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

bhasden

I put together a .NET application that sends out a Growl notification with the caller name and photo from your Google contacts. I've been using it for the last few days to display the caller id information on my HTPC and the laptops around the house. If anyone is interested, let me know. Thanks to everyone who provided information and scripts previously on this thread.

TheBigMonkey

Quote from: infin8loop on August 31, 2011, 08:10:22 AM
I've seen the syslog approach to creating a pop-up mentioned but not implemented.  The attached is a "proof of concept" perl script that I hacked together.   There are some comments in the code.  If you are more proficient in perl than I am (which wouldn't take much!), feel free to use, improve, or do with it what you will.

infin8loop   

Thanks for the starting point. I made some changes. I'm no perl whiz but I was bored. Its only been tested with no name for callerID and usa phone number. It now uses an external script for extra convenience. Everything uses regex instead of position based stuffs. Eventually I want to have it connect to my Google contacts and match phone numbers to names (using gdata). It shouldn't be too difficult to have the picture on the popups as well. 

CID-notify-send is the script for notify-send and xbmc notifications.

gdata python client
http://code.google.com/p/gdata-python-client/

infin8loop

Quote from: TheBigMonkey on May 08, 2012, 09:19:36 AM
Thanks for the starting point. I made some changes. I'm no perl whiz but I was bored. ....

Thanks for improving and sharing. I was bored and lazy (well, lazy is a given) at the time I put it together. My old brain hasn't fully embraced regex. I should have my secret decoder ring taken away.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

TheBigMonkey

Quote from: infin8loop on May 08, 2012, 04:29:01 PM
Quote from: TheBigMonkey on May 08, 2012, 09:19:36 AM
Thanks for the starting point. I made some changes. I'm no perl whiz but I was bored. ....

Thanks for improving and sharing. I was bored and lazy (well, lazy is a given) at the time I put it together. My old brain hasn't fully embraced regex. I should have my secret decoder ring taken away.
My regex fu is weak I had a lot of trial and error and help from this site: http://txt2re.com/

AlanB

For those of us who aren't programmers, is there a simple program that can do this.  Display caller id on the computer that is.

Thanks.

Smee

Sure, Obi2Yac can.  Search the threads here or Google and you will find it.

Smee

AlanB

Thanks.  I tried Obi2Yak.  Still a little more complicated than I wanted.

I ended up installing GrowlerID (http://riotouslabs.com/Products/GrowlerID).  Even though it's not supported, it worked great as a standalone application.

GPz1100

Did anything ever become of this?

It would be great to get a notification on the pc with the available CID information before deciding to get up and answer the phone.

OBX1

Quote from: GPz1100 on February 23, 2018, 01:54:36 PM
Did anything ever become of this?

Working on this was my primary reason for joining the forum  ;D

There is a high end router product popular in Europe called "Fritzbox" which includes a caller ID server.  All you have to do is click a box in the routers web interface, and client applications on the network can use the specified IP/port to receive the Caller ID data.  So I wanted to see if I could do the same with Obi.  While the Obi firmware is powerful, its also a bit more complicated:

In the configuration panel you can enable the Obi to send system log event types of your choice to another device on the network that will decide what to do with the data.  The best solution I can find to receive and process the data is a caller ID server program called NCID (which specifically supports Obi devices through the 'Obi2ncid' module - see page 49 in the documentation.)

http://ncid.sourceforge.net/index.html

NCID will have to reside on a box that runs all the time (preferably something with low electricity usage, such as a small network file server, or a micro PC like the Raspberry Pi.)  This server app can import Caller ID data from multiple hardware & software sources, and relay it to any clients which register their interest.  Client apps are available for all major platforms:

The official client app (cross-platform Java app)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid/files/ncidpop/

There are also various unofficial native clients for the major desktop & mobile platforms
http://ncid.sourceforge.net/addon.html

Of course, it would be a great selling point if NCID was integrated into the the Obi firmware so you dont need to set it up on another machine... but I am not very optimistic about anything of this nature: it appears that Polycom acquired Obi just to destroy what they perceive as a potential competitor -- it does not appear they did so because they wanted to improve the product.  But only time will tell.

menaalho

Quote from: jimates on February 20, 2011, 09:01:51 PM
someone mentioned an upcoming softphone, why can't it be that simple. A small program that runs in the system tray and connects to the corresponding Obi. The Obi sends the info to the app with that information.

happy birthday cousin

Perhaps it could be configured with what info we want to show in the ballon. Maybe we just want name and number, but the app could actually save some or all the info that the call staus log has.

Have you got the solution?

smashbros

A small program that runs in the system tray and connects to the corresponding Obi. The Obi sends the info to the app with that information.

Perhaps it could be configured with what info we want to show in the ballon. Maybe we just want name and number, but the app could actually save some or all the info that the call staus log has.

smash bros for pc