News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Hijacked by Telemarketer

Started by ChairSpud, August 02, 2021, 09:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChairSpud

I still can't believe this just happened with Google Voice, a telephone call came in (on my SP1 number) from a number I didn't recognize so I didn't answer it. A few minutes afterward I picked up the phone and dialed a different number on my SP3 configuration which required the number be preceded with **3.  But my call didn't go through to the intended number but in fact reached a telemarketer the same telephone number whose call was not answered by me just a few minutes earlier.

I'm surprised this kind of thing occurred and wonder if it was a fluke and if not what can I do to prevent it from happening again?

Taoman

Seems unlikely.
Are you able to post a screenshot of your OBi's call history showing the incoming call and your outgoing call?

ChairSpud

I'll try. If it works, Call4 is the telemarketer calling me, Call3 is where in error (Google or Obi) called the telemarketer back but in fact I dialed the the telephone number in Call2 and Call2 is me calling the actually intended telephone number. Hope that's not too confusing.

Taoman

I strongly doubt your call was "hijacked." My best guess is you accidentally hit a key (or a combination of keys) that did an automatic call back to the last caller. Like *69 for instance? Or maybe your phone has a dedicated key for that?

And does your phone have a call history itself? If so, can you scroll back and see the call made from your phone to the telemarketer number? If you see that call in your phone's history then the problem is with the phone (or its operator), and not Google or the OBi device.