News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

how do I prevent caller ID that shows up as "Private" or "Blocked" from ringing?

Started by onepolarbear, August 04, 2021, 01:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onepolarbear

how do I prevent caller ID that shows up as "Private" or "Blocked" from ringing?

Spam callers(usually extended car warranty) at least spoof their phone number.... but lately, some of they started using "Private" and "Blocked"....  it's annoying because I can't even go into Google Voice to block them....   

I'm using Obi200, if that makes any difference.

Any advice appreciated!

Taoman

Send anonymous calls to voicemail.
Click on the link below and edit Anonymous Callers. Uncheck any numbers/devices/lines that are currently checked for that group.

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#groups

onepolarbear

how do I send anonymous calls to voice mail?   if I don't pick up, the just hang up.  Google Voice only notifies me of a missed call.

My Obi200 is connected to a cordless phone.

thanks!

Taoman

Quote from: onepolarbear on August 05, 2021, 12:33:52 AM
how do I send anonymous calls to voice mail?   if I don't pick up, the just hang up.  Google Voice only notifies me of a missed call.

Did you follow the directions in my previous post? If so, anonymous calls should not ring your phone but should be routed to voicemail.

Of course they are going to hang up. Anonymous callers are usually robocallers and aren't going to leave a message. That's the point of doing all this. Isn't that what you want?

If they are still ringing your phone either you didn't follow my directions or they aren't actually anonymous calls. Usually if the phone readout says "Blocked" or "Private" they are considered anonymous calls. If you followed my directions the calls should be routed directly to voicemail since they won't have a phone to ring since you (hopefully) unchecked all numbers and devices for the Anonymous Callers group.

onepolarbear

Quote from: Taoman on August 05, 2021, 05:33:51 AM
Did you follow the directions in my previous post? If so, anonymous calls should not ring your phone but should be routed to voicemail.

Thanks!

Got it to work now.  I completely forgot which of my 7 Gmail addresses was linked to which Google Voice number, so I had to look into the setting for each one.

What do we do when Google removes the old Google Voice interface?(or is that never going to happen?)

:)

Taoman

Quote from: onepolarbear on August 05, 2021, 08:51:42 AM

What do we do when Google removes the old Google Voice interface?

Good question. Supposedly some features of the Legacy GV interface will be migrated over to the new GV web interface. But we won't know what features until it actually happens.

I use group membership extensively so I won't be a happy camper if Google does away with it.

SteveInWA

7 Gmail addresses?!  Note that creating multiple accounts with Google Voice numbers is a violation of Google Voice's Terms of Use.  Consumer Google Voice is not intended for any sort of business use.

I am optimistic that a new solution similar to the Legacy Groups settings will be released before the existing one goes away.  I wouldn't worry about that (read my lips).

onepolarbear

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 05, 2021, 01:52:26 PM
7 Gmail addresses?!  Note that creating multiple accounts with Google Voice numbers is a violation of Google Voice's Terms of Use.  Consumer Google Voice is not intended for any sort of business use.

I have 7 phones(Android and iPhone).  I always create a new Gmail whenever I  buy a new phone.   (all are my personal phones)  3 of them were on Google Fi.. until Google Fi separated itself from Google Voice last year, forcing Google Fi customers to create new Google Voice numbers.     On each of my Google Voice number, I have anywhere from $10 to $50 balance....  

I had no idea that it wasn't allowed.  Each Google Voice is linked to the mobile number that that phone is on. (except the one that's linked to my Obi200 device at home)

On top of that, I have two separate Gmail accounts from work.(one for customers and one for intra-company use only)