News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Device rings 855 number

Started by Hardwired_Coconut, August 05, 2021, 10:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardwired_Coconut

I set up an OBi200 with an Anveo account in late April, and I ported over the phone number from the previous carrier.  The device connects to a Netgear Nighthawk router.  My Anveo account shows the device rings an 855 toll free number about 10 times on Wednesdays between 12:50 pm and 1 pm.  I created a ticket with Anveo, and was informed that the calls were originating from the OBi device.  I've disabled SIP ALG on the router, but the calls persist.  I called the number and heard a series of tones.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lavarock7

Have you Googled that number. It may shed some light on the issue.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

drgeoff

Dial ***1 and note the IP address that will be read out to you.  Point a browser at that address and log in with admin and admin.  At the left side click on "Status" and then on "Call History".  If necessary, scroll down to see if there are outgoing calls to the 855 number.  If there are, you will also see if the calls were originated by the OBi's PHONE port.

Is the phone the only device and plugged directly into the OBi's PHONE jack or do you have your OBi connected to house phone wiring?

Hardwired_Coconut

Quote from: Lavarock7 on August 05, 2021, 10:41:13 AM
Have you Googled that number. It may shed some light on the issue.

I did google the phone number and was none the wiser.

Quote from: drgeoff on August 05, 2021, 03:32:28 PM
Dial ***1 and note the IP address that will be read out to you.  Point a browser at that address and log in with admin and admin.  At the left side click on "Status" and then on "Call History".  If necessary, scroll down to see if there are outgoing calls to the 855 number.  If there are, you will also see if the calls were originated by the OBi's PHONE port.

Is the phone the only device and plugged directly into the OBi's PHONE jack or do you have your OBi connected to house phone wiring?

I am currently 300 miles from the OBi Device, but I will try to have someone access the call history later today to verify the origin of these 855 calls.  There is a phone/base station plugged into the OBi device.  The base station links wirelessly to a second phone.  I only have the Anveo VOIP service with this OBi device.

Quote from: James41 on August 06, 2021, 01:14:32 AM
The number 855 is the country code assigned to the 'Cambodia'. Calls from this country begins with 855 and then the phone number is written.

I am in the United States.  These 855 calls show up on my Anveo transactions list, and they do not show the Cambodia Country Code.  I am not getting charged for calls to Cambodia.

Hardwired_Coconut

My sister checked the call history, and the 855 calls originate "From PH1."  Does this mean the analog telephone is generating these 855 calls?  I believe it is an AT&T brand, but I could be wrong on that.

drgeoff

Quote from: Hardwired_Coconut on August 07, 2021, 06:30:06 PM
Dial ***1 and note the IP address that will be read out to you.  Point a browser at that address and log in with admin and admin.  At the left side click on "Status" and then on "Call History".  If necessary, scroll down to see if there are outgoing calls to the 855 number.  If there are, you will also see if the calls were originated by the OBi's PHONE port.

My sister checked the call history, and the 855 calls originate "From PH1."  Does this mean the analog telephone is generating these 855 calls?  I believe it is an AT&T brand, but I could be wrong on that.
There is nothing internal to an OBi that can make such calls. They are being initiated by some device plugged in to its PHONE jack. If you are certain that phone is the only device then either some person is manually making the calls or the phone has some automatic function.

Hardwired_Coconut

Quote from: drgeoff on August 08, 2021, 03:24:57 AM
Quote from: Hardwired_Coconut on August 07, 2021, 06:30:06 PM

My sister checked the call history, and the 855 calls originate "From PH1."  Does this mean the analog telephone is generating these 855 calls?  I believe it is an AT&T brand, but I could be wrong on that.
There is nothing internal to an OBi that can make such calls. They are being initiated by some device plugged in to its PHONE jack. If you are certain that phone is the only device then either some person is manually making the calls or the phone has some automatic function.
Thank you for clarifying this issue.  I will focus on the cordless phone.

MBlender

Could be an Alarm System (active or inactive ) connected to your phone line?  Isn't 855 a toll free number?

SteveInWA

Quote from: MBlender on August 11, 2021, 06:12:45 PM
Could be an Alarm System (active or inactive ) connected to your phone line?  Isn't 855 a toll free number?

This is actually an excellent guess.

Call the phone number.  Do you hear beep tones like a fax machine or modem?  If so, this is your alarm monitoring center, and your alarm panel is "phoning home" to do a periodic test.

robert1998

Quote from: Hardwired_Coconut on August 05, 2021, 10:33:54 AM
I set up an OBi200 with an Anveo account in late April, and I ported over the phone number from the previous carrier.  The device connects to a Netgear Nighthawk router.  My Anveo account shows the device rings an 855 toll free number about 10 times on Wednesdays between 12:50 pm and 1 pm.  I created a ticket with Anveo, and was informed that the calls were originating from the OBi device.  I've disabled SIP ALG on the router, but the calls persist.  I called the number and heard a series of tones.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe it is the configuration you have or maybe there is an error in the device, hello, I'm new, I hope to be of help.