News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Are there alternatives if Google ends free Google Voice?

Started by highvoltage, August 06, 2021, 12:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highvoltage

I've been reading a bit about various times in the history of Obi devices when it seemed Google would cut off users from using its free Google Voice service. I know those potential cutoffs were all eventually averted, but if it happens in the future, are there any cheap alternatives for Google Voice that can be used with Obi devices? Perhaps some users here are already using such services because they don't like some aspect of Google Voice.

Personally, I can think of at least two: I can't turn off the voicemail in Google Voice, so the only way to use an answering machine is to set the answering machine to pick up before Google does. Or the fact that there's no way to temporarily unblock caller ID for one call only; Google ignores *82 if caller ID is set to be blocked by default. These aren't big enough problems for me to say no to a free service, but some people might feel that some quirks are so annoying that it's worth paying a few dollars a month to get around them. Any suggestions?

drgeoff

There are many ITSPs whose prices are far below what the big name telcos charge for landline connection and calls.

bluechip

I've happily been using Localphone with an OBi200 for many years. A Localphone DID costs $1.00 per month. 800 minutes of outgoing calls is only $1.60 per month. Unlimited incoming calls are free. My backup is Callcentric, which I also use for FAX.