News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can Make outgoing Calls, but no incoming calls

Started by Shatnes, August 13, 2021, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shatnes

I have an OBi200 using Google Voice since March with good results. Today, I was not getting any incoming calls, so I reset my OBi200 and the dial tone is now pulsating. I tried *78, but it didn't help. I tried a different phone same result. I can make outgoing calls. When I try to call my device, the message says "There was an error connecting your call. Error route does not exist."
I tried using a different handset and got the same error.

Any suggestions?

drgeoff

That message is not from your OBi and there is nothing its attached phone could do or not do that would cause that message to be generated anywhere.

Given the very recent firmware update requirement you should check if your OBi has that.

Shatnes

I looked into my dashboard, but I don't know how to check for the firmware update.

I think the pulsating dial tone is related to not receiving incoming calls.

Shatnes

I checked my dashboard for any yellow triangles and I don't have any, so I assume the firmware is up to date. It would be nice to know where in the dashboard I can confirm the firmware version I am using.

I can call my number and leave a message in Google Voice. I also did the echo test and it works. For some reason I believe the Obitalk server is not connecting to google voice when my GV number is dialed.

So I made a little more progress today. I also put in a support case with Polycom, but they probably won't respond until Monday.

MSRobi

Log back in to you dashboard, click on the Settings gear icon, then click on "OBi Expert Configuration", then "Enter OBi Expert".
Once in, click on "Status", then "System Status".  Look for "SoftwareVersion", it should be "3.2.2 (Build: 8680EX)" which is the most recent firmware version.

drgeoff

Quote from: Shatnes on August 14, 2021, 08:01:41 AMFor some reason I believe the Obitalk server is not connecting to google voice when my GV number is dialed.
You believe correctly but for the wrong reason. GV calls (in or out) do not go through any equipment or infrastructure operated by or on behalf of Obihai/Poly. The call set-up and voice data are only between your OBi device and GV servers.

Shatnes

I have the latest software SoftwareVersion   3.2.2 (Build: 8680EX)

So if the call set-up and voice data are only between your OBi device and GV servers, what is allowing me to make outgoing calls through the OBI device, but not be able to receive incoming calls. I also have the mystery of the stuttering or pulsating dial tone. I know that GV is working because I can see the call log and I can listen to any voice mail that is left. There must be some problem in the configuration of the OBi device or it is defective.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Shatnes on August 14, 2021, 11:26:47 AM
I have the latest software SoftwareVersion   3.2.2 (Build: 8680EX)

So if the call set-up and voice data are only between your OBi device and GV servers, what is allowing me to make outgoing calls through the OBI device, but not be able to receive incoming calls. I also have the mystery of the stuttering or pulsating dial tone. I know that GV is working because I can see the call log and I can listen to any voice mail that is left. There must be some problem in the configuration of the OBi device or it is defective.

Almost nothing you have posted makes sense or is related to either your OBiTALK hardware or Google Voice.

Google Voice never generates nor controls the message waiting stutter tone.  You have some other service provider configured on your device that is causing or contributing to this mess.  It is possible that you are calling out on whichever Service Provider (SP1--SP4) you defined as the default for outbound calls, and not using Google Voice.

With regard to Google Voice calling working or not working, you need to troubleshoot that separately from your OBiTALK situation.

Unplug the device.  Use a desktop or laptop computer's web browser, not a tablet or smartphone.  Sign into the correct Gmail account that holds your Google Voice phone number, and go here:

https://voice.google.com/settings

Do you see your Google Voice phone number at the top of the page?  If not, this is either the wrong account, or you don't actually have a Google Voice number.  Find the account that holds the number.  Leave that browser tab open, and press Ctrl-T to open another browser tab, then sign into the OBiTALK portal:  http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev and look at the list of devices. 

You should see the OBi 200 or 202 you are using.  Click on it to expand it if not already expanded.  Look at the list of Service Providers (SP1 -- SP4).  Which SPs are configured with which services?  If you see Google Voice configured on one of the SPs, then delete it, and follow my instructions here to start over with a clean installation: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076