News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Layman Help OBi200 and Google Voice

Started by phlyx, August 23, 2021, 04:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phlyx

Getting ready to dump most of Frontier including our home phone service.  So snagged an OBi200 and setup was pretty easy.  I set up a new Google Voice account but the problem is, that account needed to connect to my cell phone or a land line phone.  Since I already use Google Voice for work with my cell phone I had to use my soon to be defunct Frontier number.  I set it up and I can make outgoing calls and they work fine, but my incoming calls all forward to my home phone.

How can I make my Google Voice number ring on the phone connected to my OBi200?  And what happens to my Google Voice number when I disconnect my home phone?

All help greatly appreciated.

SteveInWA

Quote from: phlyx on August 23, 2021, 04:49:03 PM
Getting ready to dump most of Frontier including our home phone service.  So snagged an OBi200 and setup was pretty easy.  I set up a new Google Voice account but the problem is, that account needed to connect to my cell phone or a land line phone.  Since I already use Google Voice for work with my cell phone I had to use my soon to be defunct Frontier number.  I set it up and I can make outgoing calls and they work fine, but my incoming calls all forward to my home phone.

How can I make my Google Voice number ring on the phone connected to my OBi200?  And what happens to my Google Voice number when I disconnect my home phone?

All help greatly appreciated.

Google Voice is a service that is part of your Google account (your Gmail address).  It can work in a pure-VoIP mode.  You need to successfully claim a Google Voice phone number first.  Did you do that?

dircom

You can port your Frontier number to Google Voice to save it if you want.
and add another GV number to the Obi if you want.