News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Integration Issues With Multiple Google Voice Accounts

Started by GoBlue, November 09, 2011, 09:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoBlue

I picked up the OBi about a month ago and am very pleased with the Google Voice functionality.  I have a few questions in regards to setup of the OBi to fit the use case of my family.  We would like to achieve the following setup:

House Phone - 1st Google Voice Number through OBi.  No texting required.  This is a shared line between all family members and guests.  We give this number out for family appointments and people that need to reach us while we are at home.  It would be ideal if the house phone would simultaneously also ring my phone for my family and wife's phone for wife's family.  All other calls should ring both phones.  This would be ideal to setup in Google Voice.

Wife's Phone - 2nd Google Voice Number used for cell phone voicemail AND texting so we do not have to purchase a cellular texting plan.  This is on an iPhone 4S with the google voice application installed.  The Google voice phone number is not used for calling, just texting.

My Phone - 3rd Google Voice Number used for cell phone voicemail AND texting so we do not have to purchase a cellular texting plan.  This is on an iPhone 4S with the google voice application installed.  The google voice phone number is not used for calling, just texting.

The problem I am experiencing is that our cell phone numbers cannot be used in more than one Google voice account.  Any suggestions on how to achieve the setup described above?

RonR

Quote from: GoBlue on November 09, 2011, 09:30:07 AM
The problem I am experiencing is that our cell phone numbers cannot be used in more than one Google voice account.

You also cannot have a Google Voice number as a 'Forwards calls to:' phone on your Google Voice account.

I don't have a clear picture of what you want the OBi to do, so let me summarize what it can do:

1.  There is a limit of two Google Voice accounts per OBi.

2. All incoming calls ring the PHONE Port by default.

3. Incoming calls can be forwarded to or simultaneously ring another phone number and/or OBiON APP on a smartphone (maximum of four simultaneous destinations).

4. Outgoing calls can be directed to either Google Voice account (or to the LINE Port or OBiTALK Service).

5. The OBi PHONE Port supports only one single-line telephone device.

If you need help configuring the OBi, I would be happy to assist you if you spell out exactly how you wish things to be routed.

GoBlue

I simply would like the Obi (House Phone which is using Google Voice) to simultaneously ring our cell phones.  It would be preferred to configure what numbers would ring which cell phone.

RonR

Assuming you want selected incoming calls to the Google Voice account configured on SP1 to simultaneously ring other selected phones using the Google Voice account configured on SP2 for the outgoing calls:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:

{(12345550001|12345550002):ph,sp2(12345559991},{(12345550003|12345550004):ph,sp2(12345559992},
{(12345550005|12345550006):ph,sp2(12345559991),sp2(12345559992)},{ph}

Calls from 12345550001 or 12345550002 should ring the PHONE Port + 12345559991
Calls from 12345550003 or 12345550004 should ring the PHONE Port + 12345559992
Calls from 12345550005 or 12345550006 should ring the PHONE Port + 12345559991 and 12345559992
All other incoming calls should go to the PHONE Port only

GoBlue

To clarify, I have three seperate google voice accounts.

1. SP1 = Home Phone (12345559990)
The google voice number is used with the Obi as our home phone.  Calls are outgoing and incoming on our house phone via Google Voice.

2. My Cell Phone (12345559991)
Used as my personal google voice number and for texting.  Has nothing to do with the Obi other than I want to ring this number simultaneously as SP1.

3. Wife's Cell Phone (12345559992)
Used as my wifes personal google voice number and for texting.  Has nothing to do with the Obi other than I want to ring this number simultaneously as SP1.

When #1 (SP1) is called, I would like #2 and #3 to ring simultaneously.  I am unclear on why a Google Voice account needs to be configured on SP2?  Are you saying that I should create another Google Voice account only for the purpose of forwarding calls to the cell phones?  If not, which Google Voice account should be configured for SP2?

Does 12345559991 or 12345559992 have to be a Google Voice number setup on the OBi as SP1 or SP2?

RonR

I wasn't aware that Google Voice was selling cell phone service, but that's not important to this problem.

Assuming you have a regular Google Voice account configured on an OBi as SP1...

When you get an incoming call on SP1, it will naturally ring the telephone connected to the OBi's PHONE Port.

If you want to simultaneously ring one or more other phones, be they landlines, cell phones, regular Google Voice accounts, VoIP numbers, or whatever, the OBi does this by making one or more totally separate outgoing calls.

So, for an incoming call to the Google Voice account configured on SP1 to simultaneously ring two cell phones in addition to the OBi PHONE Port, the OBi has to initiate two outgoing calls to those cell phones.  Whichever called destination answers first is bridged to the incoming SP1 call and the others are abandoned.

Each Google Voice account can accomodate two sessions, so if you only need to ring one cell phone in addition to the PHONE Port when receiving an incoming call, you could get by with only the Google Voice account on SP1:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {ph,sp1(12345559991)}

If you need to ring two cell phones in addition to the PHONE Port when receiving an incoming call, you will need additional resources.

GoBlue

RonR, thanks for the help on this.

QuoteI wasn't aware that Google Voice was selling cell phone service, but that's not important to this problem.
I am using Google Voice for Voicemail and Texting on the cell phones.  The service is through Verizon.

QuoteIf you need to ring two cell phones in addition to the PHONE Port when receiving an incoming call, you will need additional resources.
Could you recommend a resource for achieving this?  Could this be done by a new Google Voice account?

RonR

Quote from: GoBlue on November 09, 2011, 04:17:40 PM
Could you recommend a resource for achieving this?  Could this be done by a new Google Voice account?

A second Google Voice account, configured on SP2, will provide you with two outbound trunks as I illustrated in my original example:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1858.msg11952#msg11952