News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

E911 Question

Started by bigL, August 29, 2021, 05:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigL

Hi, I have a Obi desk phone 2182 with three lines.  Just recently ported my landline to GV.   I just ordered a Obi 200 to add only my landline that was ported for home usage.  Is there a way to add 911 to all three lines without purchasing e911 service for all the lines? 

Thanks in advance.

drgeoff

Quote from: bigL on August 29, 2021, 05:55:55 AM
Hi, I have a Obi desk phone 2182 with three lines.  Just recently ported my landline to GV.   I just ordered a Obi 200 to add only my landline that was ported for home usage.  Is there a way to add 911 to all three lines without purchasing e911 service for all the lines? 

Thanks in advance.
I don't really understand your question - "add 911 service to all three lines".  Possibly 911 service can be added to one of your existing providers (eg Callcentric).  If not, 911 can be added as one additional ITSP (or "line" in your parlance), eg 911+ as in the prominent adverts on this site.

bigL

I reached out to Punch, they said their e911 service is by device only.  So every number would go out to 911 with only 1 call back number.

KevKan

BigL, to possibly provide a better solution, I have a few questions.

Does the landline you ported to GV have active e911 service on it?

Will the Obi2182 and the Obi200 both be physically located in the same building/location?

Being not familiar with "Punch", who or what is it?

SteveInWA

The best solution I know, is to use Callcentric for E911.  It works on every OBiTALK device you have, and on every SP on that device.

This has already been documented in other threads.

Callcentric sells inbound calling and outbound calling and DID numbers separately.  I recommend doing it this way:

Purchase Callcentric outbound calling; either the $1.95/month plan that includes 120 minutes of calling and E911, or the $6.95/month plan that includes 500 minutes of calling and E911.  You may think you don't need the outbound calling, but when Google Voice breaks, it's wonderful to have a backup.

https://www.callcentric.com/rate/plans/

Next, you will provision one of the OBiTALK SPx slots to register to your Callcentric account number and SIP password.  The OBiTALK web portal (dashboard) will display a check-box to use this SP for 911 calls for all of the service providers.  It will then automatically change the digit maps to support the feature.

When you call 911, the E911 PSAP operator will see your street address (which you enter when you sign up for the service on callcentric.com), and they will see a special phone number (not one you have registered).  That phone number is mapped to call your OBi SPx.  This is so that the 911 service is independent of any particular phone number you have on your device, and it works with all of the service providers.  If your 911 call were to drop, then the operator can call you back.

Optionally, purchase an inbound phone number ("DID").  This will enable you to both make and receive calls using Callcentric.  If you wish, you can use the $1.00/month plan, which gives you a phone number in New York state with unlimited inbound calling.  This number can be linked to your Google Voice number, and provisioned on your OBiTALK device, to funnel inbound Google Voice calls through Callcentric to add Caller ID Name (CNAM).  Again, this is documented elsewhere in this forum.

https://www.callcentric.com/did/

Please browse through the forum topics to learn more, before asking repetitive questions.  Thanks.

bigL

Oh WOW!  That is great info.  Thank you