News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Laymans Help OBi200 and Google Voice

Started by phlyx, August 31, 2021, 03:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phlyx

Getting ready to dump most of Frontier including our home phone service.  So snagged an OBi200 and setup was pretty easy.  I set up a new Google Voice account but the problem is, that account needed to connect to my cell phone or a land line phone.  Since I already use Google Voice for work with my cell phone I had to use my soon to be defunct Frontier number.  I set it up and I can make outgoing calls and they work fine, but my incoming calls all forward to my home phone.

How can I make my Google Voice number ring on the phone connected to my OBi200?  And what happens to my Google Voice number when I disconnect my home phone?

All help greatly appreciated.

SteveInWA

When you start using Google Voice, the first thing you do is to claim one of Google Voice's freebie phone numbers.  To do that, you submit a personal phone number as your "claim ticket".  It sounds like you did that.  So now you have an inbound Google Voice phone number, which is linked to your Frontier number as a forwarding number.

Your next step is to port your Frontier number to Google Voice.  Porting is a telco industry term for transferring control of a number from an old ("losing") carrier to a new ("gaining") carrier.  This procedure will automatically cancel service with the losing carrier after the number's call routing is moved over to the gaining carrier.

But... you can't port in a land line number, since GV only accepts ports in from mobile carriers.  SO, you'd have to first port the number into a cheap prepaid mobile carrier, wait a week, then port it to Google Voice.

See:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferin

LTN1

Assuming Google hasn't changed the process (SteveInWA would know more), this tutorial by OBiTALK should help with the porting process also: https://www.obitalk.com/info/tutorials/porttutorial