News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Stutter dial tone is gone now that voip.ms has been hacked, what do I do?

Started by Schmee, October 04, 2021, 03:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmee

voip.ms has switched to all-new IP addresses on "higher security servers" and now my message-waiting stutter dial tone is gone on my Obi202 (and also on my friend's Obi200).

I went to Voice Services -> SP1 Service and "MessageWaiting" is not checked ("Default" is indeed unticked). I put a tik in MessageWaiting and rebooted and... it's unchecked again.

I think voip.ms's new servers are missing some crucial feature, but they disagree and claim it's the Obi's fault. I installed the newest firmware on my friend's Obi200 and MessageWaiting still cannot be enabled.

What's the truth? And what should I do to get my stutter dial tone back?

drgeoff

Quote from: Schmee on October 04, 2021, 03:21:33 PM
voip.ms has switched to all-new IP addresses on "higher security servers" and now my message-waiting stutter dial tone is gone on my Obi202 (and also on my friend's Obi200).

I went to Voice Services -> SP1 Service and "MessageWaiting" is not checked ("Default" is indeed unticked). I put a tik in MessageWaiting and rebooted and... it's unchecked again.

I think voip.ms's new servers are missing some crucial feature, but they disagree and claim it's the Obi's fault. I installed the newest firmware on my friend's Obi200 and MessageWaiting still cannot be enabled.

What's the truth? And what should I do to get my stutter dial tone back?
1. How are you ticking that box?  If you are doing it by logging in directly to the OBi but have not disabled Obitalk Provisioning then what you are experiencing is completely normal and working as designed.

2.  Please go to all the other copies of your post and use the "Remove" button to delete them.

SteveInWA

The two parameters that control message waiting stutter tone and visual message waiting indicator are MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable, respectively.

The "Message Waiting" parameter is not actually a setting.  Confusingly, it is just a dynamic yes/no state indicator of whether or not a message is currently waiting.  Don't mess with it.

There are also two parameters (again, hopelessly confusing) in ITSP Profile A--SIP (or whatever profile you are using) that may need to be set.  I use Callcentric, which doesn't use these parameters, so a voip.ms user will have to answer whether or not voip.ms now requires them.  These parameters enable "subscribing" to a voicemail server which controls the message waiting status indicators.

See the attached screenshots.

Schmee

TY Steve, very good info re: MessageWaiting checkboxes. I've asked voip.ms what value to put in X_MWISubscribe and X_MWISubscribeURI but they said those values aren't needed.
???
Polycom support has emailed me back so I'll work with them a bit and get back here with what I find out.

drgeoff: Thanks for the reply. When I posted the obitalk server returned an error so I kept trying from different operating systems and with different browsers, but it always said:
"Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials e12sm18695708pgv.82 - gsmtp"
Now Polycom support emailed me that I have eight posts here. Dang. Anyhow, I've now deleted the others.

SteveInWA

"Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials e12sm18695708pgv.82 - gsmtp"

That is a bogus error thrown by the horribly outdated and broken version of the SMF forum software.  Ignore it - your posts do, well, post.

You have some sort of voip.ms problem, given that they use the same VMI/VMWI method as Callcentric.

Taoman

Reply from VoIP.MS support:

QuoteOur team has detected this and is working on solving the Message Waiting Indicator MWI so you can know when you have new voicemails.

venividivici

A user in the VoIP forum at DSLReports.com posted the following solution that worked for me.

QuoteTo sync it up, log into your voicemail box and delete all messages.  If that doesn't work, call in and leave yourself a message, and then delete it.

ryanwawro0920

My phone number will be unlocked at www.voice/unlock and I must pay $4
lewdle