News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is my OBI 110 Defective?

Started by dazed, November 15, 2011, 05:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazed

Hi I am having problems With Consistently dropped calls and having to reboot (power down) the obi 110 to get a dial tone or be able to make a new connection with dial tone (***91 ) after drop call.
I am using Google voice number to TELTUB sip provider ( i think thats the correct term).
I tried installing softphone ( x-lite) and after 12mins it dropped and I had to power down obi110 to regain dial tone.

I had used the web setup at obihai.com for the generic installation for teltub service since there was no setup guide.

I also have placed OBI110 in DMZ zone (static ip)....and previously used a broadband and magicjack sip(voip) device with no problems prior to obi110 on the router I have. I have no fax.

So were does the problem lie?
a) obi 110 Faulty
b) obi 110 programed incorrect
c) Google Voice
d) TelTub sip provider

So what should I change? Im not using line port ( land line connection)
Should I change teltub service to another like voipmyway or callcentric ( requires signup and credit card)
or what? I have been messing with this for 2 days and its getting old...so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

hwittenb

Looking at the TelTub web site, what is the advantage of paying TelTub $5 per month to use Google Voice when you can configure your OBi110 directly to use Google Voice?  Why do you need another provider?

dazed

Because its for a land line(i dont have one) Google gives me a number...and with that number I need it to ring my house phone...Teltub is the link between Google and obi110. I then can call out on my house phone and receive as well.

RonR

You don't need any link between Google Voice and an OBi.  Once you have a Google Voice account, an OBi can connect to it directly for both incoming and outgoing calls with nothing in between.

hwittenb

Dazed,

OK, I guess you need some other phone to get a Google Voice number (Google Voice calls that other number for the verification) but once you are signed up and have the Google Voice number people can call your Google Voice number and it will ring your OBi100 or OBi110 at your house.  You can call out on the OBi100/OBi110 directly using your GoogleVoice account.  You configure the OBi to do this and it works well.  RonR can help you configure it if you have a problem.

If you already have your GoogleVoice account you are all set.

dazed

I was under the impression that i needed a service like teltub ... I have to find the settings for that and give it a try. $5 less a month is even better. thanks ;D

RonR

Configuring Google Voice on an OBi is only a few settings from factory defaults:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

dazed

Thanks RonR

I used obi's wizard pre-configged setup on the webpage... and i think it changed more than that. Its acting up already dropping me around the 10 min mark. I don't have nat keep alive on my router...I checked a keep alive under

Voice services>>>>SP1 services >>>>>>X_KeepAliveEnable

I dont know if i need to do the one in ITSPA profile under thr RTP tab??

Funny everytime it drops the call it like the obi controller locks up and i have to reboot it to get it working again

dazed

Okay after a couple weeks of frustrating dropped GV calls, which were vary random and usually happened under 5 minutes...I tried

1) tried putting my network (1000Mbit) router into Vlan (same subnet no choice...would have like to try a fix were it said would work with another subnet, but short of using another router I tried...)

2) Plugging device directly into modem and problems did not dissapear.

3) Emailed OBI TS twice and finally got some instructions to do that seem to be working.

Now I searched for this info and I could not find any posts about doing this procedure...I could not even find it in the OBi Device Administration Guide (all 141 pages searched).

So in hopes that this helps someone else Fixing there problems I'm posting what worked for me. It looks like it
turned out that my obi device would only connect to my router at 10Mbits Half duplex.
I saw it doing this originally, but this is how my other sipura device connected to my router and i had no problems so I thought nothing of it.

Okay this it what tech support emailed me to do....

Please try to force OBi to 100Mbit/Full duplex.
Press *** 0 option 27#, press 1, value=1#, press 1 to save

I haven't had a dropped call yet since I did this...also My tx errors from the Obi device has stopped (I can check that in my router) Also I have 0% packet loss (okay maybe 1 or 2 packets per call) recorded on the obi device.

I think this info should be at least added to the .PDF file about the 10/100 switch.

Thanks.

RonR

Quote from: dazed on December 02, 2011, 03:57:45 PM

Interesting.  Any undocumented feature.

Stewart

Quote from: RonR on December 02, 2011, 05:09:54 PM
Quote from: dazed on December 02, 2011, 03:57:45 PM

Interesting.  Any undocumented feature.

Quote from: dazed on December 02, 2011, 03:57:45 PMI haven't had a dropped call yet since I did this...also My tx errors from the Obi device has stopped (I can check that in my router) ...
RonR, this is amazing.  It appears that with some OBi units and/or with some routers, the Ethernet link is negotiated at 10 Mbps, but for some reason (duplex mismatch?) the transmission from OBi to router is unreliable.  If the above is accurate, it could also explain the outbound voice quality issues which are plaguing so many users.  And, it appears that there is an easy workaround.

RevKev

Just an fyi -- my obi110 was connecting to my router at 100mb but only half-duplex. I did the "*** 0, 27#, 1, 1#, 1" trick and it's now connected at full-duplex.

windoverwater

Woa - came across this thread by accident while trying to reduce latency/jitter/problems on my Obi110 with GV.  My Obi was also connecting in half duplex - only discovered that when I changed routers with one that would display that information. Did the "*** 0, 27#, 1, 1#, 1" trick and rebooted, and now it is full duplex.  Tested full duplex with an out-of-state call that typically was not great but is now just fine (we both talked at the same time at length and could notice no artifacts).

Awesome thread, awesome community.  Thanks!  And yes it should be in the manual.