News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Rejected By Service Provider 603

Started by BadSanta, November 01, 2021, 08:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadSanta

Greetings,

For several years I've been using an Obi202 at my principal house. I recently purchased a Obi200 for use at our beach house after dumping Verizon FIOS.

My Verizon cell phone is area code 401 (RI), my wife's Verizon cell area code 774 (MA) and our principal home's GV phone on the Obi202 is area code 774. We also have a second fax line, area code 774, through GV on the Obi202 at our main house.

We created a new Gmail login and GV number, verified it using the FIOS phone #. We selected a 774 area code for the new beach house GV phone number. Then configured the Obi200 and this seemed to work fine.

I can call my cell phone (401-xxx-yyyy) w/o a problem.
I can call our existing house phone (774-xxx-yyyy) w/o a problem.
I can call our fax phone number (774-xxx-yyyy) w/o a problem.

I cannot call my wife's cell (774-xxx-yyyy). I get an error telling me the call was "rejected by the service provider, reason is 603." I've tried 1-774-xxx-yyyy, 774-xxx-yyyy, and just xxx-yyyy all with the same error.

My wife can call the new GV phone # successfully from her cell.

From our existing main house and fax numbers, both can call my wife's cell # successfully, so it seems GV can call her cell # correctly, just not from the Obi200 for whatever reason.

I'm baffled and out of ideas. Googling around for a solution yields no real information. I see on this forum someone had a similar issue w/ calls from a college, but there was no real solution I could ascertain.

I guess the only other thing I could try would be to change the Google Voice telephone for the beach house, but I have to reason to think that will make a difference.

I've tried resetting the Obi, deleting the configuration from my ObiTalk account, and re-add everything back in... same issue. Yes, I'm running the latest firmware (3.2.2 (Build: 8680EX))

Any other thoughts, solutions would be appreciated.

SteveInWA

That sounds like a problem with her mobile number.  Does she have the same mobile carrier as you?  Are you using T-Mobile?  Turn off your mobile carrier's scam or spam blocker, then try calling that number again from Google Voice.

BadSanta

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 01, 2021, 10:28:55 AM
That sounds like a problem with her mobile number.  Does she have the same mobile carrier as you?  Are you using T-Mobile?  Turn off your mobile carrier's scam or spam blocker, then try calling that number again from Google Voice.

We have the same carrier, in fact, both phones are on the same account. Verizon.

We can call her number with no issue from our existing GV house and fax lines on our Obi202.

We cannot call her number from the "new" GV number on the Obi200.

I wouldn't even know where to look for a "scam or spam" option on our phones (we both have Samsung S20's) as I do not recall ever seeing such a setting in options. (Googling such an option yields results which seem to indicate this is an add-on app called the "call filter app", which neither of us have.).

BadSanta

If it was a setting on the cell account though why would it allow calls from our existing GV Obi202 device but not calls from the GV Obi200? Sorry, confused.  ???

SteveInWA

You are not understanding what I am trying to point out.

In your original post, you performed some good troubleshooting.  You proved that you can call various other phone numbers, and the only number that returns the error is your wife's cell phone number.

That is not a Google Voice nor an OBiTALK problem.  It is a problem with the number you are calling.  Either you are misdialing (for example, swapping two digits), or she has blocked your calling phone number from being called by the number you got from Google Voice.  You will have to work with her mobile phone and its carrier to find out how/where/what is blocking the calls.

BadSanta

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 04, 2021, 06:27:20 PM
You are not understanding what I am trying to point out.

In your original post, you performed some good troubleshooting.  You proved that you can call various other phone numbers, and the only number that returns the error is your wife's cell phone number.

That is not a Google Voice nor an OBiTALK problem.  It is a problem with the number you are calling.  Either you are misdialing (for example, swapping two digits), or she has blocked your calling phone number from being called by the number you got from Google Voice.  You will have to work with her mobile phone and its carrier to find out how/where/what is blocking the calls.

Ok, thank you. You're right, I wasn't understanding what you were saying. It simply doesn't make any sense to me, as the beach house OBI and GV# are brand new and there's no way my wife would/could have blocked the number from her phone. I suppose maybe Verizon at a higher level blocks the number thinking it is spam and I guess the only way to tell that for sure would be to give up this number we were assigned and get a different number from Google and see if that clears up the problem.

Since I last posted I did speak to a Verizon tech who was uniformly unhelpful. I was told there was no type of call restrictions on our phones. When I explained the problem I was told I should contact Google, as it was not a problem on "our end" (meaning Verizon).

I guess ultimately like the other guy on the college campus who had the same problem in another thread I'm going to have to suck it up and just go without it ever being resolved.