News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I want to keep my analog phone - No GV / Receive call anywhere

Started by ryonwhyte, December 22, 2021, 07:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryonwhyte

Hi All.
I got an Obi212 a few days ago. I got the 212 because my aim was to be able to get calls from my analog phone (POTS) anywhere I am. Using some sort of app or software. I do not intend to port my number anywhere or pay for any external service. My internet, cable, and phone are bundled and I get a pretty good deal. I just don't want to have to sit by the phone all day hence the 212.

I have physically connected it correctly using all ports and my analog phone and updated firmware. Problem is, I have no idea where to go from here. The analog phone works, as usual, to receive and make calls while connected to the device. I just do not know what next to do to get things working from my phone or software. I looked into SIP services, but in my case, my bills would be more than quadruple taking over SIP, $0.43/min  ???.

If there is anyone that has configured this please share some thoughts on how to proceed. I want to keep my analog phone. I just want to answer and make calls from anywhere.

Thank you!

dircom

If you don't want to get rid of your landline, and want to be able to pick up your home phone calls anywhere, you can forward all your calls to your cell phone.  Perhaps you could explain more what you are trying to do. Also, check out internet only or internet + TV prices.  You might be surprised about the costs.

drgeoff

Quote from: ryonwhyte on December 22, 2021, 07:32:34 PMI looked into SIP services, but in my case, my bills would be more than quadruple taking over SIP, $0.43/min  ???.
How did you come to that conclusion?  SIP rates can be as low as a few percent of that figure.  But if you want to make and receive the calls on your cellphone you'll also be paying for that somehow.  Either voice minutes or data except when connected to Wi-Fi.

PDX_Mark

I am going to make a suggestion.

if your goal is to answer PSTN calls on your cell only. Get an account on callcentric or voip.ms. Either of these will allow you multiple accouts because you will need 2 accouunts/regiistrations one for softphone one for obi. I use the generic term  voip provider below.

You can then send calls from PSTN line by way of Obi to Voip provider then on to a SIP softphone registered to  voip provider .  

Making calls from sip  softphone is a little more complex  and might require an asterisk server or an account on pbxes.com. If you could find a softphone with 2 stage dialing support, this may work instead of asterisk or pbxes using voip provider as a go-between.

let me know if I can help

Mark