News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV supports 2 call sessions after firmware update??

Started by xray, February 20, 2011, 10:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xray

I am so excited saw that the new firmware update (1892) added "Each Google Voice service supports 2 call sessions". 

I updated and tried it but not working for me.  Anyone get 2 call sessions working with 1 GV service?
And how to set it up?

Here is what I did:
setup:  sp1- GV (primary line), sp2- other sip service.
testing procedure:
1. Using cell phone1 call into AA and dial out using sp1(GV) to cell phone2 (got connected) .
2. then pickup home phone call cell phone 3. And get a greeting no service available something like that. 

Thanks.

OBi-Guru

Your scenario #1 is already consuming 2 GV call sessions.  Call from cell1 is 1st session, and Call to cell2 is the 2nd.
Typical use case: you are on the OBi phone calling out using GV, press flash (hook-flash) to get a 2nd dial tone, and make a new GV call.   Press flash again, you can conference the 2 calls together.

MichiganTelephone

If anyone is using an OBi device as a gateway between Asterisk/FreePBX and Google Voice I can confirm that I was able to have two simultaneous calls come in on the same Google Voice account (using SP1 only) and both were routed as expected by Asterisk.  So I am very happy with the fixes in this firmware release and think that many OBi users will be also;D  ;D  ;D
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

xray

Sorry My mistake.  Just realized this as Obi-Guru states. 

Thanks.

azrobert

XRAY did not give us enough info.  If in scenario #1 he called in on SP1-GV to the AA then called out on SP1-GV that would be two sessions, but if he called in on SP2 to the AA then called out on SP1-GV then it would only be one session.

Am I confused or do I have it right?

jimates

and why is this usefull?.

It was said before that we could set up the same gv account on both sp1 & sp2 for this purpose. And of course we knew we could set up 2 separate gv accounts on the sip lines.

We still can't initiate 2 separate calls because there is only one phone port. This is why I mentioned on another thread that it would be nice if we could configure the LINE port to act as a 2nd PHONE port. Then we could in fact have 2 simultaneous voip calls on 2 separate phones, like most voip ATAs

could xray have called out to cell phone 3 using sp2?  It would allow someone to call into the AA and call out on the same line which should leave the second sip line for use from the Obi unit itself. Am I correct?
I still see the usefullness as small because to call into the Obi on a GV line to call back out on the same line would only be usefull for someone with only a limited use landline that was local to the GV number.

Come on, what am I missing?

MichiganTelephone

What you're missing is that you now only have to set up one account to support call waiting and three-way calling.  That means the other SP can be used with a different Google Voice account (maybe you'd like another GV number in another location?) or with another VoIP service (commercial VoIP provider, extension off SIP PBX, etc.).

And for those that happen to be using the device as a gateway between Asterisk (or some other SIP PBX) and Google Voice, you now have two channels per SP instead of just one.

And even if none of that interests you, it means that call waiting and three-way calling with Google Voice just works, without the need to configure identical information on SP2.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jimates

even though I don't get or make but about a dozen calls a week I still like to see features that others can use.
Call waiting on the same line is great, instead of having to answer the cell if a second call somes while on the line.

Murphy's Law, get rid of your land line and just have a cell phone, and see how many more calls you get than before.