News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can Obi202 be setup so that incoming calls rollover to another phone or ext?

Started by raquel, July 07, 2014, 03:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raquel

I have a two person office and we currently use the Obi100. Works great. However, the phone line can only be used by one person at at time. When call waiting beeps, the other phone extension doesn't ring. I see that Obi202 has two phone ports, so can two separate phone be setup on the device to receive calls from the same line? If not, does anyone know of a workaround?

drgeoff

Quote from: raquel on July 07, 2014, 03:03:36 PMI see that Obi202 has two phone ports, so can two separate phone be setup on the device to receive calls from the same line?
Yes the 202 can do that but if you only have one "line" it needs to support more than one call at a time. I'm under the impression that not all ITSPs allow that.

BigJim_McD

drgeoff, 

I have a OBi202 with a two-Line phone attached.  I used OBiTalk Expert Mode to configure the OBi202 to support two calls at the same time, one on each of the two phone lines.  My primary ISP is Vestalink which is setup on SP1. I also have Google Voice on SP2, voip.ms on SP3 as a failover for Vestalink on SP1.  I have a third number setup on SP4 for voip.ms.

Obi202 Configuration for Main # with two phones to:
1)   Ring only Ph1 for a single call, Call Waiting Disabled on Phone 1.
2)   Ring Ph2 only for a 2nd Call using "Call Forward Busy Line".

Using ObiTALK configure:
                                    Phone 1   Phone 2
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:      SP1         SP1
Phone Rings on Incoming Calls from:          SP1         

Enter ObiTALK "Expert" Configuration.

Locate:  Physical Interfaces – PHONE 1 Port.
   Uncheck –  Calling Features  –  CallWaitingEnable    Default Block

Locate:  Voice Services – SP1 Service.
   Uncheck –  CallForwardOnBusyEnable     Default Block
       Check  –  CallForwardOnBusyEnable     Block on the Left

Uncheck –  CallForwardOnBusyNumber     Default Block
        Add –  CallForwardOnBusyNumber       Ph2(#)        

See:   Topic: Obi202 - Using two-line phone with one Google Voice number
  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6046.0
BigJimMcD

drgeoff

My understanding of Raquel's post is that there is one ITSP (SIP or GV isn't stated) configured on her OBi100 and there are two phones in parallel plugged into the 100's PHONE port.  As she says, when one phone is in use, the other cannot take a different incoming call nor make a call.

An OBi202 can support two separate phones, ie not in parallel.  With either 2 VoIP services configured on it or 1 VoIP service that allows more than 1 simultaneous call, then the two phones can be used for 2 incoming calls or 2 outgoing calls or 1 incoming and 1 outgoing.

Furthermore the 202 can be configured such that calls are handled in various ways such as:

1.  An incoming call on either line rings both phones and first off-hook takes the call.

2.  An incoming call on either line rings only phone_A unless it is in use, in which case phone_B is rung.

3.  An incoming call on line_1 rings only phone_A unless it is busy in which case phone_B is rung.

4.  An incoming call on line_2 rings only phone_B unless it is busy in which case phone_A is rung.

5.  An outgoing call from phone_A always uses line_1.

6.  An outgoing call from phone_B always uses line_2.

7.  An outgoing call from phone_A or phone_B always uses line_1 unless line_1 is busy in which case line_2 is used.

and more.  :)

Just because a single GV number can support  more than 1 simultaneous call does not guarantee that this applies to all VoIP providers.

I have an OBi110 which has only 1 phone port, so I've never tried any of the above myself.  It is based solely on my study of the Admin Guide and may contain errors.  :(  Corrections welcome.

raquel

Quote from: drgeoff on July 08, 2014, 10:18:32 AM
My understanding of Raquel's post is that there is one ITSP (SIP or GV isn't stated)

Forgot to mention that I'm using GV.

jholme004

Quote from: drgeoff on July 08, 2014, 10:18:32 AM
My understanding of Raquel's post is that there is one ITSP (SIP or GV isn't stated) configured on her OBi100 and there are two phones in parallel plugged into the 100's PHONE port.  As she says, when one phone is in use, the other cannot take a different incoming call nor make a call.

An OBi202 can support two separate phones, ie not in parallel.  With either 2 VoIP services configured on it or 1 VoIP service that allows more than 1 simultaneous call, then the two phones can be used for 2 incoming calls or 2 outgoing calls or 1 incoming and 1 outgoing.

Furthermore the 202 can be configured such that calls are handled in various ways such as:

1.  An incoming call on either line rings both phones and first off-hook takes the call.

2.  An incoming call on either line rings only phone_A unless it is in use, in which case phone_B is rung.

3.  An incoming call on line_1 rings only phone_A unless it is busy in which case phone_B is rung.

4.  An incoming call on line_2 rings only phone_B unless it is busy in which case phone_A is rung.

5.  An outgoing call from phone_A always uses line_1.

6.  An outgoing call from phone_B always uses line_2.

7.  An outgoing call from phone_A or phone_B always uses line_1 unless line_1 is busy in which case line_2 is used.

and more.  :)

Just because a single GV number can support  more than 1 simultaneous call does not guarantee that this applies to all VoIP providers.

I have an OBi110 which has only 1 phone port, so I've never tried any of the above myself.  It is based solely on my study of the Admin Guide and may contain errors.  :(  Corrections welcome.

@DrGeoff, I am looking to do similar to this older post, specifically #2 of what you suggested: "  An incoming call on either line rings only phone_A unless it is in use, in which case phone_B is rung." How do I set the inbound route to determine ph1 is in use?  I've currently got it set as {ph1+ph2}, which thus far  will only ring ph2 if ph1 has call waiting disabled or dnd enabled.

Any thoughts?  (I'm using GV and a BulkVS trunk)
-Jason

drgeoff

Try this.  I have not tried it myself so cannot be certain it will work. Please report back here.

You'll need to use Expert Mode on the portal.

On each of the two SPs you are using make these settings:

InboundCallRoute    ph

CallForwardOnBusyEnable    ticked
CallForwardOnBusyNumber  ph2

PDX_Mark

Here is a WORKING and TESTED method for doing this using a Grandstream ATA. You can answer one call on the Grandstream ATA Port and another On the Obi Port.

Specifically this Post http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25295.msg252454#msg252454

What I never have tested is transferring but you may well be able to set up a quickdial on each device to dial the other device by IP address or SIP URI so <transfer code> + <quickdial> Just make sure that you allow SIP messages from sources other than the server which is usually a configurable option.

Of course you have an Obi100 and this is for an Obi200 but I think the configuration would be very similar. Also Google Voice is simply  a SIP provider so there is no difference there.

I could help you more specifically if you provide more details . Some providers allow you to create ring groups for 2 ATAs on the same number

jholme004

Quote from: drgeoff on January 11, 2022, 07:55:08 AM
Try this.  I have not tried it myself so cannot be certain it will work. Please report back here.

You'll need to use Expert Mode on the portal.

On each of the two SPs you are using make these settings:

InboundCallRoute    ph

CallForwardOnBusyEnable    ticked
CallForwardOnBusyNumber  ph2

Same as just changing X_Inboundcallroute to PH+PH2 - phone needs to be in DND, or Call waiting needs to be disabled on the PH settings for the call to go to SP2.

My hope was, for SP1, I could set it to "roll" if the PH1 was in use, but  SP2 would route only to PH1, and have Call Waiting available. 

-Jason