News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can Google Voice be Setup Manually via Local IP not Portal?

Started by DanMc85, January 25, 2022, 03:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanMc85

Random question, with OBiTALK EOL a bunch of products.

If OBiTalk ever ends support for OBi2182 and\or their online portal.

Supposing Google doesn't turn off the obihai SIP server. Is there a way to manually add\configure a Google Voice account from the phones local IP portal?  Like specific settings to enter?

Or if the OBiTalk website goes away, does that mean adding GV accounts also goes away, thus leaving us a phone that will still work with other SIP providers only?

Thanks for any comments!

drgeoff

With currently available official firmwares, GV cannot be configured without using the portal.

RFC3261

Quote from: drgeoff on January 25, 2022, 08:08:10 AM
With currently available official firmwares, GV cannot be configured without using the portal.

And that, ultimately, is the death knell for the OBI2xx and GV.  While the OBI2xx *might* be able to continue to operate after 2023, from time to time I have found that I the easiest way to revert a bad change was to perform a "factory reset" on a device to properly clean/recover it.  Without the ability to (re)configure GV on an existing OB2xx it is all over.

GV and OBi was great while it lasted, but it is time (for at least me) to start the process to move those GV numbers elsewhere.

Taoman

Quote from: RFC3261 on January 26, 2022, 10:18:03 PM
GV and OBi was great while it lasted, but it is time (for at least me) to start the process to move those GV numbers elsewhere.

Pretty tough to find an ITSP with the same feature set that GV provides.

My plan would be to continue forwarding to my $1/month Callcentric DID for unlimited inbound GV calls.
For outbound calls I would use a cheap but reliable provider like Localphone.
For longwinded calls I might just use GV's "click-to-call" feature so GV would call me back on my Callcentric DID before making the outbound call. I have an app for that on my iPad.
GV app would continue working normally on my cell phone and tablet.
I have also found (at least for me) that using the GV app that uses my cell carrier's signal/minutes to make/receive a mobile call (rather than over WiFi/data) is much more reliable than using a SIP softphone app.

bluechip

Another possible option to consider is Cell2Jack. It's an inexpensive home landline telephone alternative. With Cell2Jack, your home telephones or cordless phones become extensions of your smartphones. YouTube review link https://youtu.be/EkYiyWVCSm0

GinoG

Thanks...I just looked into cell2jack.  In theory, I could setup an old cellphone without service with my Google Voice account and install the hangouts helper app to basically do the same thing I've been doing with my ObiTalk account.  I'll buy this device and see how it goes.  The biggest issue is lack of support for the Cell2jack helper apps if/when Google Voice is upgraded.