News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Problem

Started by bitstopjoe, November 22, 2011, 01:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitstopjoe

AT first I thought my OBi100 was acting up. Seems in the last few weeks I am not able to call my local exchange with GV, 610-863-xxxx. So I tried going to the GV web page and calling from there, nope. It rings in my earpiece but the phone on the other end rings and rings, sometimes it only rings 2 times then gets a fast busy signal.  I had "assumed" maybe since my home landline ( incoming ONLY via dry loop DSL) is in the 863 exchange something was messing up on my end. Today I had a buddy in another part of PA to try and call, via his GV number, my landline, he said it just rang and rang and rang, it never rang here. I have tried calling a few other local 863 exchanges and the same thing happens.
So how does one report this to GV and is there anyway my OBi is causing this because of the way GV has to be set up for the OBi to work?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

EDIT: Just before I posted this I unplugged my OBi and tried again via the GV page with the OBi powered off, guess what it worked. Got my buddy to call and he got through as well.  So it has to be my OBi causing this.. So I am open to suggestions, thank you..

Joe Sica

jimates

With the Obi powered off your phone is directly connected to the line port, as if the Obi didn't exist. I would imagine the problem is that your "land line" is not a typical conventional service. You said dry loop DSL which to me indicates no actual phone service.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on November 22, 2011, 08:48:08 PM
You said dry loop DSL which to me indicates no actual phone service.

The 'dry loop DSL' service I have comes with an unlisted phone number which receives incoming calls normally.  I have dialtone, but the only outgoing call I can make is to 911.  All others get a 'Sorry, your call cannot be completed' recording.

bitstopjoe

With the Obi powered off your phone is directly connected to the line port, as if the Obi didn't exist. I would imagine the problem is that your "land line" is not a typical conventional service. You said dry loop DSL which to me indicates no actual phone service.

Well since I have a OBi100 there is no line port...

Joe Sica

bitstopjoe

Quote from: RonR on November 22, 2011, 08:57:18 PM
You said dry loop DSL which to me indicates no actual phone service.

The 'dry loop DSL' service I have comes with an unlisted phone number which receives incoming calls normally.  I have dialtone, but the only outgoing call I can make is to 911.  All others get a 'Sorry, your call cannot be completed' recording.

Mine works EXACTLY the same way Ron. And prior to a few weeks ago I had no problem getting through to a 610-863-xxxx exchange...

Joe Sica