News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changed Router and Lost All Service

Started by DJDeals, November 28, 2011, 09:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJDeals

We changed routers, the new router sees the OBI110 very clearly, and you can easily click it from the router control panel to administer it, yet it doesnt work, and says OFFLINE on the Obi Dashboard located at http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/owned.

I deleted it to start all over again, and it will not allow you to add a new device.  It tells you to do this, and this does nothing:

Add an OBi Device
  • Please pick up the telephone handset, and dial **5 9448
  • You may hang-up when you hear the automated response.
Trying to connect to your device... (Timeout in 120 seconds)

It times out every time.  Now we have no phone, prior to this everything worked perfectly.

RonR

Can you reach the echo test? : **9 222 222 222

Can you log into the OBi locally at the IP address returned by dialing ***1

DJDeals

Echo test says There Is No Service Available.

***1 says to use IP 192.168.1.2 but in realyti, that's false, it's http://192.168.1.24

RonR

Can you log into the OBi at either IP address?

It appears your OBi and router are not getting along well.  That's your first problem to solve.

Stewart

Please post: Modem make/model?  New router make/model?  Old router make/model?  Do you still have the old router?  From a command prompt (on a PC on your LAN), can you ping 192.168.1.2?  192.168.1.24?

DJDeals

Login using the IP that Verizon gave me 192.168.1.24 is flawless.  Cannot login using the IP that the interface tells me to use.

Router is a Westell 7500 from Verizon.

DJDeals

Also, cannot ping the IP that the obi tells you to use, but you can ping the IP that Verizon says the device is on.

jimates

default log in for the Westell 7500 is
IP address - 192.168.200.1
User name - admin
Password - password

Stewart

The 7500 manual at http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/VersaLink7500UserGuide.pdf claims that the Firewall factory default is "No Security", but that may not be the case.  Login to your modem and check; see pp. 95-96 of manual.

If setting No Security does not help, you could try enabling DMZ Host for the OBi -- see manual starting on page 118.

If still no luck, it appears that the OBi is somehow incompatible with the 7500.  Do you have another DSL modem to try?

Everton

Quote from: DJDeals on December 01, 2011, 04:03:38 PM
Login using the IP that Verizon gave me 192.168.1.24 is flawless.  Cannot login using the IP that the interface tells me to use.

Router is a Westell 7500 from Verizon.

Is this a Router Only or a Combo DSL Modem/Router?  I brought one of the Westell Routers (7501) from Verizon for $9.00 about 8 months ago and found these Routers to be problematic.  No wonder they try to offload them.

Anyway, previously, a OBi user stated that he had to ENABLE SIP ALG on the Westell Router in order to get his OBi1x0 to work.

DJDeals

It's a combo one (which I love, it's small, modern & doesn't require 2 things to sit on my desk!)

I changed that setting...didn't do anything.  ***1 still says the ip is 192.168.1.2 when Verison clearly shows it at 192.168.1.24

DJDeals

Quote from: Stewart on December 01, 2011, 07:41:06 PM
The 7500 manual at http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/VersaLink7500UserGuide.pdf claims that the Firewall factory default is "No Security", but that may not be the case.  Login to your modem and check; see pp. 95-96 of manual.

If setting No Security does not help, you could try enabling DMZ Host for the OBi -- see manual starting on page 118.

If still no luck, it appears that the OBi is somehow incompatible with the 7500.  Do you have another DSL modem to try?

You fixed it!

The firewall was set to Medium:
Medium security setting only allows basic Internet functionality by default, just like High level security. Medium security, however, allows customization through Port Forwarding configuration so certain traffic can pass.

Changing it to Low solved it.

Low:
The low security setting will allow all traffic except for known attacks. With low, your modem is visible by other computers on the Internet.