News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Second router as repeater?

Started by thinking, December 03, 2011, 09:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinking

Hi.  I just got a new router (g-class) (ASUS WL-520GU w/WRT) which I want to use as my main router.  Because our cordless phone base unit has an answering machine, I don't want to change it's central location in the house.  But there is no wired ethernet near that base unit, so I would like to take my old netgear router (b-class) and use it to wirelessly bridge the ethernet from my new router to the cordless phone base.  Can this be done?  I'm pretty sure it could be done the other way around (connecting the old netgear unit to the cable modem and then using the ASUS as the repeater, but I want the ASUS as the main unit because it is faster.  Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
thinking...

Everton

Sorry, the DD-WRT Router HAS to be the second (Repeater) Router.  It cannot be the main Router and the netgear (running stock firmware) the second router in the Repeater Bridge.

Is it very difficult to run a Cat 5/Cat 3 from the Router/OBi Location over to the location where you have your answering machine?

Quote from: thinking on December 03, 2011, 09:48:09 AM
Hi.  I just got a new router (g-class) (ASUS WL-520GU w/WRT) which I want to use as my main router.  Because our cordless phone base unit has an answering machine, I don't want to change it's central location in the house.  But there is no wired ethernet near that base unit, so I would like to take my old netgear router (b-class) and use it to wirelessly bridge the ethernet from my new router to the cordless phone base.  Can this be done?  I'm pretty sure it could be done the other way around (connecting the old netgear unit to the cable modem and then using the ASUS as the repeater, but I want the ASUS as the main unit because it is faster.  Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
thinking...