News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Switched to Cable ISP, the ringing sound contiues after someone answers my call

Started by NotTheDude, December 03, 2011, 10:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotTheDude

I had ATT DSL, it wasn't fast enough for trouble-free calling.  I just switched to TW Cable internet.  Now when the person I am calling answers we both can hear the phone ringing sound continue.

I still have my DSL hooked up until I call to cancel my account, so I switched my OBi back to the DSL modem, and my calls work like normal.

I, of course, have to reboot the OBi each time I switch from one to the other.  I have done this several times but the ringing sound keeps on going when I make calls from the TWC ISP line.

I really want to cancel my DSL as soon as possible so would someone please help me?

Thanks!

Stewart

Cable modem make/model?  DSL modem?  Separate router, if any?  Fail with GV, a SIP provider (which?) or both?  Fail with ObiTALK test number?  What happens on incoming calls?

NotTheDude

Quote from: Stewart on December 04, 2011, 10:15:37 AM
Cable modem make/model?  DSL modem?  Separate router, if any?  Fail with GV, a SIP provider (which?) or both?  Fail with ObiTALK test number?  What happens on incoming calls?

OK, I think I have figured out the issue.  I called a friend ans we let it ring and ring and ring until eventually that same OBi error guy says: "the number you dialed was rejected by the service provider "something something" error 500.

I just dialed the same numbers WITH the area code included and it all works.

ISSUE SOLVED!

Please add to the trouble shooting database and mark as solved(or tell me how to do that).

Thanks!

NotTheDude

Quote from: NotTheDude on December 05, 2011, 07:43:23 PM
Quote from: Stewart on December 04, 2011, 10:15:37 AM

OK, I think I have figured out the issue.  I called a friend ans we let it ring and ring and ring until eventually that same OBi error guy says: "the number you dialed was rejected by the service provider "something something" error 500.

I just dialed the same numbers WITH the area code included and it all works.

ISSUE SOLVED!

Please add to the trouble shooting database and mark as solved(or tell me how to do that).

Thanks!

NOPE - still doing the SAME thing again after severl "successful" calls!!!!!!!!!

DAMMMNNNN!

Here are my specs:

I am using a Google Voice number.

Motorola SB5101u is the Time Warner cable modem which has this issue.

The DSL modem with (ATT ISP) without this issues is a Motorola 2210-02-1002.

I have a separate router a BelkinF5D7230-4.

I ALWAYS REBOOT all my devices, in order, before troubleshooting.

I cannot check incoming calls right now as it is very late, all my friends and family are asleep(or too late too call them without being rude), and when I uncheck my cell from getting g-voice calls, it still answers saying how I can log-in to my g-voice account(VERY ANNOYING GOOGLE! - MAGIC-JACK HAS YOU BEAT HERE - YOU SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED!)

So I will check incoming calls again tomorrow, but in the mean time, ANY suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!

NotTheDude

RonR

Have you tried connecting the OBi directly to your cable modem temporarily to eliminate your router as the source of the problem?  Don't forget to reboot both the modem and the OBi after making the connection.

RevKev

In Google Voice settings - Phones - Mobile - Edit - Show advanced settings - Voicemail Access - Click "No". This will allow you to call your GV number from your cell phone.

(I know, not your "real" problem, but hey)

NotTheDude

Quote from: RonR on December 07, 2011, 05:27:14 PM
Have you tried connecting the OBi directly to your cable modem temporarily to eliminate your router as the source of the problem?  Don't forget to reboot both the modem and the OBi after making the connection.

Thanks, but yes I always try this step first whenever I have any problems with any internet-based tech.

NotTheDude

Quote from: RevKev on December 07, 2011, 05:45:19 PM
In Google Voice settings - Phones - Mobile - Edit - Show advanced settings - Voicemail Access - Click "No". This will allow you to call your GV number from your cell phone.

(I know, not your "real" problem, but hey)

I have always had my GV number forwarded to my cell phone, the trouble is that I seldom use my cell phone and to save money, have a cheap pre-paid phone.  So using it as my "all-day-everday" phone, like I do my home phone, is out of the question at 10 cents per minute.

Thanks for trying to help though.  I really do appreciate it Kev.