News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

If Obitalk goes out of business are all these devices basically useless?

Started by mlbnva, December 11, 2011, 10:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlbnva

I want to know if the website must be used in order to gain full access to the devices, or basically the devices become less, or non-functional if the company were to go out of business like Sipura basically did when it was sold to linksys or now that voxalot is now going out of business etc?

I see this as a risk, and would like to ask for a service that basically does what the website does - but can be used on my own server/pc.  Otherwise as soon as your company has financial issues - investments into your hardware products become at risk at best, useless at worst.

Michael

RonR

The OBi100/110 is a standalone device that does not need to be registered to or configured with the OBiTALK Web portal.  If Obihai were to disappear, however, the proprietary 'OBiTALK' communications capability (OBi/OBiON-to-OBi/OBiON) would cease to exist as it relies on an undocumented protocol and a server provided by Obihai.

RonR

As I already stated, the OBi100/110 is a totally standalone unit.  You don't need to use the OBiTALK Web Portal to configure it and don't lose any capabilities if you choose to configure it manually/directly.

If Obihai goes away and the OBiTALK voice server presumably goes with them, you will lose the proprietary OBiTALK communications channel (**9) that allows OBi's and OBiON apps to communicate directly with each other without a service provider.

Felix