News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

FAX/ModemOverIP

Started by flipdee, December 12, 2011, 03:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flipdee

Hey there,
I know this is not a simple subject, and I appreciate there are some topics on it already.
I was just wondering if anyone has had any success with 33.6k dial up modem's over OBi110's?
Yes, I know it is like using a Truck to carry a horse and cart in the back of it, however a lot of legacy systems are the major stumbling block to full voip implementation.

I have managed some faxes over OBi110's, however it seems to be intermittent and dial up internet doesn't even complete the intial handshaking, even on G711a or u on a lan.

Just curious if anyone can provide any insights from their own experiences?

Many thanks again.

flipdee

Stewart

I've had such systems running at 9600 bps, but they often drop connections and are quite frustrating.  Don't push your luck.

One solution is to have a computer at the landline location connect to the Internet and share the connection over the LAN.  If it's not on all the time, put it in sleep when idle, then use wake-on-LAN to bring it to life from a remote PC.  Or, get a router/modem that does all that automatically.

Another possibility:  If your LAN is wired Ethernet, using Cat-5 or better, but is not Gigabit, then only two of the four cable pairs are being used.  Steal one of the remaining pairs and extend the landline to the remote site that needs the modem.

flipdee

Hi Stewart,
Many thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately in this application there is no physical cabling available. I'm testing the functions on a lan.
I know this has been asked before about T.38, but I was wondering if there were any plans to implement Modem over IP - V.150.1 in the OBi110 ?

I know this is probably asking a lot.
I have seen "Modem over IP" and V.150.1 mentioned in some ATA's spec's, even an Audiocodes MP-202 which is pretty old now. However I haven't found any confirmation of an ATA which works.

Regards,
flipdee