News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SIP Phone (Android) to talk to Obi110 (sp1)?

Started by tlandry, February 22, 2011, 08:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlandry

Ok - I am a very technical guy, but VPN/VOIP terminology - I am not familiar.

My want:
     1. Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) has VOIP (SIP) functionality built in.
     2. I currently use my Obi110 to communicate with Google Voice.
     3. Can I configure Obi110 to allow my Android (or any SIP phone) to talk to the Obi110 to make calls.

And no I do not have/want Asterisk, and yes I know OBiON for Android exists (and works great!) but the above SIP configuration would integrate perfectly with the OS.

Possible? Easy?

jimates

you can configure it to work with any phone that can call into it, if the caller id will show.
If you have a sip provider on your Android device then you can call into the Obi. You won't be able to do direct dialing like you can from the Obion app but you can access the AA using the caller id of your Android sip through the Circle of Trust

tlandry

I do not have a SIP provider. That is the point - can the Obi110 + Google Voice act as a SIP provider?

jimates

My want:
3. Can I configure Obi110 to allow my Android (or any SIP phone) to talk to the Obi110 to make calls.
[/b]

I think I answered that question.

You said you don't have a SIP provider. In order to set up SIP calling on the Android, a SIP provider will be needed I am sure.

What can or can't happen at the Obi has nothing to do with that. The Obi is routing existing calls, not providing any service.

If you want to know if you can set up Google Voice as the SIP provider on the Android the answer is no, GV is not a SIP. Adding the Obi to it won't change that.

There are 3 ways to comminicate with the Obi.
1 - from the phone connected to it
2 - by calling into it from any phone (or equivalent)
3 - from the Obion app

as related to # 2 - you can call the Obi from the Android if you have a SIP provider set up on it.
as related to # 3 -You can call it from the Obion app installed on the Android. You can also place your calls directly from the Android (through the Obi) using the Obion app.

Adding a SIP provider to the Android makes it the equivalent of a regular phone for dialing int the Obi.

Brian01

This does work now with recent firmware.  I use it to make outbound calls from my Android cell phone over my wifi through the Obi using the Google Voice account on SP1.  This way I can use my contacts and stuff through the default dialer, not the obion app, and not use cell minutes.  I didn't try to make inbound calls through the Obi ring on my cell phone.

My setup:
Samsung Nexus S, firmware 2.3.6
Obi110 firmware 1.3.0 Build: 2586 (1.2.x should be enough)
Google Voice on SP1

On the android phone:
Settings > Call Settings > Accounts > Add Account
Username: myusername1234
Password: nonsense1234 (not used but required)
Server: 192.168.1.200 (use the ip of your obi, static dhcp is good)
Set as primary account: checked
Optional settings...
Port number: 5061

On the Obi:
Service Providers > ITSP Profile B > SIP
ProxyServer: 127.0.0.1 (not used but required, unless you have a real sip proxy here)
X_AccessList: 192.168.1.150 (optional security feature, put the static IP address of your cell phone here, or omit if you're not concerned)

Voice Services > SP2 Service
Enable: checked
X_ServProvProfile: B
X_RingProfile: B (probably not necessary, but haven't tested)
X_CodecProfile B (probably not necessary, but haven't tested)
X_InboundCallRoute: {myusername1234>(xx.|<:1555>[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0):sp1}
X_RegisterEnable: unchecked
AuthUserName: nonsense5678 (not used but required)
AuthPassword: nonsense9753 (not used but required)

On the X_InboundCallRoute the username must match the one on the phone.  The "555" should be replaced with your area code.  You could put a 911 route here if you want. i.e. {myusername1234>(911):li},{myusername1234>(xx.|<:1555>[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0):sp1}

I picked out the outbound rules from http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=718.0 and http://voxilla.com/2011/02/15/how-to-obify-your-ip-phone-no-asterisk-involved-2623 .  The inbound stuff might work too, haven't tried.

RonR

X_RingProfile: B (probably not necessary, but haven't tested)
X_CodecProfile B (probably not necessary, but haven't tested)
AuthPassword: nonsense9753 (not used but required)

These are not necessary/not required.

X_InboundCallRoute : {myusername1234>(911):li},{myusername1234>(xx.|<:1555>[2-9]xxxxxx|1xxx[2-9]xxxxxxS0):sp1}

The parenthesis is not needed around 911 : {myusername1234>911:li}

If you already have the desired DigitMap on SP1, it's cleaner as : {myusername1234>(Msp1):sp1}

rikev

tlandry: have you had success?

I have applied the settings recommended, carefully following the instructions, but I am getting this message below the account in my list of SIP accounts on my android 2.3 nexus one:

QuotePrimary Account. Account registration failed:(Not Implemented (501)); will try later

Any idea anyone?

RonR

rikev,

The OBi is not a SIP server and will not accept SIP registration requests.

An OBi will accept SIP URI calls if you have SP1 and/or SP2 configured for SIP.

rikev

Quote from: RonR on December 19, 2011, 06:17:25 PM
rikev,

The OBi is not a SIP server and will not accept SIP registration requests.

An OBi will accept SIP URI calls if you have SP1 and/or SP2 configured for SIP.

I set up the SP2 according to the recommendation of Brian01.
The point of this thread, I believe, is to be able to have direct access to the obi from the SIP account section of Android OS, right?

RonR

Quote from: rikev on December 19, 2011, 06:52:39 PM
I set up the SP2 according to the recommendation of Brian01.

Starting with everyting at Default on SP2 and ITSPB, here are working settings for SIP support on an OBi without using a real SIP provider:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (put anything here)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B

After rebooting, SP2 status should show : Registration Not Required

Quote from: rikev on December 19, 2011, 06:52:39 PM
The point of this thread, I believe, is to be able to have direct access to the obi from the SIP account section of Android OS, right?

Any SIP client can now call the OBi via SIP URI (no registration) by addressing the call to:

OBI@IP_Address:5061

fastscirocco

Quote from: tlandry on February 22, 2011, 08:39:16 PM
Ok - I am a very technical guy, but VPN/VOIP terminology - I am not familiar.

My want:

And no I do not have/want Asterisk, and yes I know OBiON for Android exists (and works great!) but the above SIP configuration would integrate perfectly with the OS.

Possible? Easy?

Did you set up a google voice number on your phone?

My understanding is with Android if you set up a google account and have a google voice number (can be different than the one you use with the Obi) you can call directly from the phone using data not minutes
using the Google voice number.

I call using google voice from my phone all the time, I've set it to ask each time if I want to call
using Google Voice or without Google Voice.

rikev

Quote from: fastscirocco on December 19, 2011, 10:17:31 PM
My understanding is with Android if you set up a google account and have a google voice number (can be different than the one you use with the Obi) you can call directly from the phone using data not minutes
using the Google voice number.

I use my phone as a wifi-only phone...No SIM card installed. Currently, google voice on android can only be used thru the cellular networks, not wifi.  So, my options, if I want to use the default dialer instead of OBiON, are to use something like the "GrooVe IP" app (google voice callback calling), or to set up calling through the OBi via SIP URI. The former would be problematic since, I believe, using GrooVe IP would compete with the OBi, because google only forwards google voice calls to a single google talk client. Sometimes I'd get the call on the nexus one, sometimes on the house phone...

rikev

It seems to be working only when I am connected to to the same LAN that the obi is also on--I can dial phone number in the default dialer and it will connect the call fine.

But I have tried it on 4 other wifi networks (including 3 completely open, and a secured one at my office), and on all of those, after attempting to dial for 27 seconds, it says "No response, timed out".

I have not set ITSP Profile B -> X_AccessList to anything, it still just has "OBiTALK Settings" box checked...

RonR

Quote from: rikev on December 21, 2011, 11:22:08 AM
It seems to be working only when I am connected to to the same LAN that the obi is also on--I can dial phone number in the default dialer and it will connect the call fine.

But I have tried it on 4 other wifi networks (including 3 completely open, and a secured one at my office), and on all of those, after attempting to dial for 27 seconds, it says "No response, timed out".

When you're trying to call into the OBi from an outside network, are you using your public Internet IP address in the SIP URI (i.e. NOT your 192.168.?.? IP address which is not accessible outside your LAN)?

You will also need to forward ports 5060-5061 to your OBi if you are using a router between your Internet connection and the OBi.

Quote from: rikev on December 21, 2011, 11:22:08 AM
I have not set ITSP Profile B -> X_AccessList to anything, it still just has "OBiTALK Settings" box checked...

If you put any IP addresses in X_AccessList, those will be the only IP addresses that are allowed to access the OBi.  This is normally left blank to allow all IP addresses to access the OBi.