News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

this is about using google voice to make a call.

Started by preppystud, December 14, 2011, 02:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

preppystud

the following question is not related to obi product directly. however, i hope that someone can help me here.

i tried to call those two numbers by using google call online or by using obi box by using my phone.

but i can't get connected to the first number no matter how i try. i can get connected by using a cell phone.

as for the second number, it is a disconnected number, but it should connect me and tell me what the new number is. but i always hear the no one is answering tone everytime i call.

so my questions are.

1. can you get connected to any of those two numbers?

2. does anyone why i can't get connected to them?

thanks.

RonR

Quote from: preppystud on December 14, 2011, 02:44:11 PM

Rings endlessly on 3 different Google Voice accounts, Future-Nine SIP, and IdeaSip SIP.

Quote from: preppystud on December 14, 2011, 02:44:11 PM

Rings endlessly on 3 different Google Voice accounts, Ribbit SIP, and IdeaSip SIP.

I find that Google Voice never passes supervisory messages (for example, 'The number you dialed is no longer in service').  SIP accounts often behave similarly.

preppystud

thank you for making those calls for me.

i posted them on google voice help, some idiot told me that he won't make calls to unknown numbers!

----
that is what i got when i call those numbers.

i don't know why that 855 number is not working, it is a working number. if you call it , you can get a free flask if you are a smoker.

so if someone calls that disconnected number, that person would think that no one is answering the phone. this is bad.

i thought that google voice can call any numbers, i didn't know that it has quite a few limitations! this sucks. i already disconnected my landline.

Stewart

GV doesn't handle "early media", which refers to voice sent or received before a call is "answered".  In the case of a changed/disconnected number, early media is used so the caller is not charged for the call.  On the toll-free number, it's set up (as part of agreement between customer and carrier), so the callee is not charged for the IVR portion of the call.

Your OBi can connect to multiple providers and you can choose a different one for calls that don't work correctly with GV.  I recommend Callcentric, primarily to have reliable 911 service, now that your landline is disconnected.  911 is $1.50/mo.; you'll also pay $0.0198/min. for any domestic calls you make.

If you are sure that you don't need 911, you might use Localphone; most US calls are $0.005/min. and calls to toll-free numbers are not charged at all.  Quality and reliability are decent, but not as good as Callcentric.  There are other free choices for toll-free calls; some don't even require you to sign up.