News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Endpoints between USA and UK

Started by Hortoristic, December 20, 2011, 09:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

I live near Seattle and have Obi110 config with GV - has been working well - canceling vonage.

My wifes mom lives in UK - so I was going to configure another Obi110 device and sent it to her.  So we should have free calling between us as we are end points.  

Mom can call our endpoint and make any north american call for free through GV (some of her family is in Canada too) -however - I'm wondering if she plugs in her PTSN line over there - can we call her endpoint then make UK calls from her house?  Or if my Indian friend has an Obi110 plugged in India, can we call from US to that end point and make local calls in India?

RonR

Absolutely.

You might find Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk interesting reading.

Stewart

Though outbound connections to PSTN lines in UK and India will work fine, that may not be the best approach.  For example, on Voxbeam (Premium route), calls to UK are only $0.0058/min. (landline) and $0.0515/min. (most mobiles).  You can find similar rates at e.g. Easyvoip (lower quality but less hassle).  It's likely that your mother-in-law's rates are higher (perhaps much higher, depending on her landline plan).  Connecting via a VoIP provider would likely be better quality, lower latency, have faster set-up times, and wouldn't tie up Mom's line.

In the case of India, there have been laws prohibiting casual (unlicensed) interconnection with the PSTN.  Those may no longer be in force, but you should check it out before setting up such a system.  Rates to India (both landline and mobile) are less than $0.015/min. with many providers.

Hortoristic

Wow - calls to UK landline for only $0.0058/min is good.  I'm still rooting around but getting Voxbeam configured on Obi110 has been succesful?  So SP1 would be GV, SP2 would be Voxbeam I'm guessing?

Stewart

Quote from: Hortoristic on December 20, 2011, 11:11:10 AM
I'm still rooting around but getting Voxbeam configured on Obi110 has been succesful?  So SP1 would be GV, SP2 would be Voxbeam I'm guessing?
On my OBi, Voxbeam is set up as VG1.  SP2 is a SIP provider. In my case it's a PBXes.com sub-PBX, as the primary purpose of the device is allowing access to the pseudo-POTS line from IP phones.  The AccessNumber for VG1 is coded as SP2(sbc.voxbeam.com;ui=1775xxxxxxx;op=ns) ; the ui value is the caller ID to send.  You need proper NAT mapping, i.e. STUN must be set up.

If your intended use of Voxbeam is for forwarding and you would like to pass the original caller's number as caller ID, be aware that the OBi will not do spoofing on a VGx, so you would need to use one of SP1 or SP2 for Voxbeam.  Of course, you would turn off X_RegisterEnable, as Voxbeam doesn't accept registrations.