News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Port Forwarding Apple Airport Extreme

Started by NonnaFilomen, December 22, 2011, 09:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NonnaFilomen

I'm trying to get through the issue of "other person can't hear me" and saw in some forums that port forwarding may help.  The settings I've seen were for pc-based routers, but I'm looking for specific settings for the Apple Airport Extreme (4th Gen).  I'm comfortable with port forwarding but need specific values.  Has someone done this?  or point me to the right direction?  Thanks all.

RonR

Routers aren't PC- or Apple-based.  Any router should work equally well with any device.

The ports you might consider forwarding to the OBi are:

SIP : 5060 - 5061

RTP : 16600 - 16998

plwhittington

Are there any instructions for port forwarding for the Airport Extreme 5th Generation?  I just got it for Christmas and can't find SIP or RTP settings.  Seems like al of the instructions for port forwarding for the Airport Extreme are all slightly different and none seem to match exactly what I am seeing.

Is is necessary to forward ports?  I used to have a Netgear and had a lot of trouble with others not being able to hear me.  I am hoping this solves that problem.  However, tonight my wife said the phone went dead in the middle of the call- I am thinking maybe the battery went dead, but can't be sure.

Any suggestions for the Airport Extreme, port forwarding, others occasionally not being able to hear, or dropped calls would be appreciated.

Thanks.

RonR

Ports are simply forwarded by port number (or range of port numbers) to a particular LAN IP address.  The protocol is UDP.  There shouldn't be any other information required.

Port forwarding is sometimes needed.  I would recommend you give it a try.

NonnaFilomen

Instructions for Apple Extreme for 5th Gen, but also backward compatible.  This is how I did mine, but hasn't really helped with call quality issues.  Still working through it.  May replace existing dsl modem with a combo modem/router from Dlink and attach Obitalk to that directly as well as the Airport and see how that works.

1.  Open Airport Utility.
2.  Click on 'Manual Setup'
3.  Click on 'Advanced'
4.  Click on 'Port Mapping'
5.  Choose Personal Web Sharing.
6.  Enter the following values on the public/private settings:  5060-5061
7.  Enter the IP address that is assigned to Obitalk (you can get this from the Obitalk's OBI Expert Configuration, Status.  (you may want to set this IP address as a Static address so it doesn't change if you reboot Airport Extreme.)
8.  Click on 'Continue'
9.  Give it a name, like 'Obitalk' then click OK.

plwhittington

Thanks RonR. 

It is asking me to "Choose a Service" (Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing, Personal Web Sharing, Remote Log In, etc).  It also requires that I specify whether the ports are Public UDP or Private UDP. 

One more question: It automatically populates "Private IP Address" with an intranet address, but there is no place to specify a public IP address. I assume I should leave the Private IP address as is and not worry about a Public IP address- is that correct?

Thanks again.

plwhittington

Just updated my screen and saw the post by NonnaFilomen.  Thanks for the info- I'll give it a try!