News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

A US OBi110 in London?

Started by essential, December 22, 2011, 12:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

essential

I just ordered a OBi110, and I am doing a semester abroad in London soon.

If I setup my OBi110 here in the US prior to leaving with my Google Voice number, will I be able to use it in London to call home (the US) for free as much as I want?

If this won't work I won't even open the box (it should be arriving today).

Thanks.

Stewart

Assuming that you have a good wired Internet connection, it should work fine.

You'll need an adapter to match the power plug to a UK socket.

If you'll be using a UK phone, you'll need to change some OBi settings to get caller ID working.

If using an old UK phone without a modular cord, you'll need an adapter to match its plug to the OBi RJ-11.

If you'll also have a landline in UK and want to connect it to the LINE port, you may need an adapter to match the wall jack, and/or some settings changes.

lhm.

Even though the connection to GV will have a UK ip address, it will still free?

essential

Quote from: lhm. on December 22, 2011, 04:19:10 PM
Even though the connection to GV will have a UK ip address, it will still free?

This is my main question ... would having a UK IP negate the free Google Voice calling?

Stewart

Quote from: essential on December 27, 2011, 08:51:02 AMThis is my main question ... would having a UK IP negate the free Google Voice calling?
I can't guarantee that it will work, but my OBi is in France and when I tested it with GV, it worked fine (no charge for US calls).

If you do have trouble, you could either use a different provider, e.g. Localphone ($0.005/min. to most US destinations), or get a VPN service in the US and connect through that.