News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice (GV) and Caller ID Name Display - Custom Caller ID

Started by RobFeldy, December 23, 2011, 07:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erkme73

Me too!  How about having the OBi portal somehow interface with your google voice contacts, and either maintain a cached copy, or query the actual google data base with each incoming ring?   That would have to be server-side , but imagine the marketing aspect of OBi being the first out the gate to offer Google contact synced caller ID info...

QBZappy

Brian,

Note that the OBi provides the power to ring 5 phones. When a call comes over the POTS line I think a voice modem connected to the CO in parallel with OBi would accomplish what you want to do. This would work for the OBi110 in this use case. CID data could easily be retrieved from the data stream.

Sip calls might work with an inexpensive line splitter on the OBi device connect to a phone, and a modem. The OBi provides ample power for this. The OBi acts as the CO for the modem providing the CID information.

All this would imply that your current working solution of scraping the web page to one of using the CID from the modem. Is there anything to gain from this? I think it will reduce polling cycles since the OBi could notify your app when a call comes in. Instead of actively polling, it could be just be listening. It would be more efficient this way. What do you think?

Something like this cheap fax/voice modem might be interesting: (Currently sold out)
http://www.buyincoins.com/details/56k-usb-external-fax-modem-dial-up-pci-voice-v-92-v-90-01-product-606.html
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

bhasden

Quote from: QBZappy on February 25, 2012, 09:14:06 AM
Brian,

Note that the OBi provides the power to ring 5 phones. When a call comes over the POTS line I think a voice modem connected to the CO in parallel with OBi would accomplish what you want to do. This would work for the OBi110 in this use case. CID data could easily be retrieved from the data stream.

Sip calls might work with an inexpensive line splitter on the OBi device connect to a phone, and a modem. The OBi provides ample power for this. The OBi acts as the CO for the modem providing the CID information.

All this would imply that your current working solution of scraping the web page to one of using the CID from the modem. Is there anything to gain from this? I think it will reduce polling cycles since the OBi could notify your app when a call comes in. Instead of actively polling, it could be just be listening. It would be more efficient this way. What do you think?

Something like this cheap fax/voice modem might be interesting: (Currently sold out)
http://www.buyincoins.com/details/56k-usb-external-fax-modem-dial-up-pci-voice-v-92-v-90-01-product-606.html

Ah, I see what you're getting at now. I thought you were saying to use the computer inline between the OBi and the phone to intrepret and then rebroadcast the CID information back over the phone line so it would show properly on the line. I have been working on modem support, which is another one of those larger features that is holding up the next GrowlerID release. It wouldn't fix the problem the OP is having where he wants the CID information on his the phone connected to the OBi, but it would allow someone using GrowlerID to not have to poll the OBi device for incoming calls. I'll shoot you a PM when I finally get the next version released with modem support.

MacOverAll

+1 to the obi using speed dial, google contacts or a configurable CNAM provider.

RobFeldy

Honestly This should be an easy patch.  Take away 50 of the 99 Speed dials, replace it with 50 custom caller id spots ..  I and I would be ecstatic.    ;D   I think I have 20 Speed dials.  99 seems a bit extreme..  Even with my 20 I have a little cheat cheat to see what is what.. 

Thanks all for the +1's  I would really like to see something custom at the minimum.  If we can resource GV, or some other that would be even better. 

Thanks

Robert 

StanSimmons

Since the numbers in the speed dial list will generally be the same numbers that call in regularly, and the speed dial is already on the OBi, using that list as a lookup table would be an obvious starting point... and would likely be all that is needed for most home users.

GregoryZ

Here is an option for all of you.

If you have a sip provider.  Use the PhonerLite Softphone.
http://www.phonerlite.de/index_en.htm
PhonerLite has Goolge Contact intergration.

My idea is that you can have your GV number ring your Sip provider as well as your OBi.

Register PhonerLite with the Sip provider, and Wa-LA!!

If the OBiAPP worked like it should then that would eleminate the need for a Sip provider. 

-G
OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

kelemvor

So I was about to change to GV with an Obi110.  Does this feature exist yet?  My current VoIP provider lets me setup custom caller ID and I'd really miss that feature.

Does caller ID work at all for general names and numbers or does it only show the number for everyone?

Rick

Quote from: kelemvor on December 01, 2012, 01:26:10 PM
So I was about to change to GV with an Obi110.  Does this feature exist yet?  My current VoIP provider lets me setup custom caller ID and I'd really miss that feature.

Does caller ID work at all for general names and numbers or does it only show the number for everyone?

Only shows the number, unless you program the person into your PHONE'S DIRECTORY in which case you'll see that info.

giqcass

I'm on board with this.  I imagine it either downloading a cached copy of my contact list directly to my Obi from Google Voice or allow me to set it manually in the interface.  Using the speed dial would work fine for me. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

Smee

I would also love to be able to use the Speed Dial to show CNAM on the phone.  The Obi already seems to be able to do that when you use your Obi **9 speed dial Number.  Why not with regular numbers....

Smee

Smee

Quote from: MickW on March 25, 2013, 06:10:55 AM
Here is your wish louisvillemetropc.com/wp/?p=444

Not quite.  I am more interested in the CNAM display on the phone.  I already do what the script above does and then some. i.e, My script, using Kiwi Syslog, will lookup numbers from the following places:

a) Local Cache (Will do Name substitution)
b) If number is not found in Cache, it looks up in opencnam.com
c) If number is not found there and you have a WhitePages.com DEV id, it will also check here.
d) Otherwise it will display unknown

It will then broadcast to all my PCs and Tivo's in my home that use YAC.  If GROWL is enabled, it will also broadcast to my Tablets & Android phones if subscribed to the growl.  Never got around to NCID though since I don't use that.

It isn't terribly sophisticated and wrote it on a weekend while bored using Autoit with an MS Access database.  I have been using it for a while now, but what I really want is for CNAM to be displayed on the phone using the Speed Dial information.

Having CNAM on the handset will prevent me from being glued to the TV, Tablet or PC just to see who's calling.   ;D

Take care...

Smee

QBZappy

Quote from: Smee on March 25, 2013, 06:47:43 PM
I already do what the script above does and then some.

Cool. Would you like to share?  :) No, seriously, I'd be interested.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Smee

Quote from: QBZappy on March 25, 2013, 07:40:58 PM
I already do what the script above does and then some.

Cool. Would you like to share?  :) No, seriously, I'd be interested.

Sure.  Like I said, nothing sophisticated, but gets the job done for me.  You will need a Syslogger, like Kiwi, that can launch an executable based on a trigger.  I am looking for:

[SLIC] CID to deliver:

to trigger the executable.  You will need to point your Obi to send Syslog data to whatever PC you installed your syslog server on.  If you intend to use Growl as well, you will need to enable in the INI file and Growl will need to be on the same PC as your syslog server.  The Autoit will self register with Growl on first use. Look in the AU3 source file for more info.  

Update: No longer need Syslog server.  Binrary updated.  See this post: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5730.0

Have fun...

Smee

QBZappy

QBZappy

Having CNAM on the handset will prevent me from being glued to the TV, Tablet or PC just to see who's calling.   ;D

Quote from: Smee on March 23, 2013, 04:08:35 PM
I would also love to be able to use the Speed Dial to show CNAM on the phone.  The Obi already seems to be able to do that when you use your Obi **9 speed dial Number.  Why not

If you want to limit yourself to a relatively small list of names, as implied by your reference to the speed dial, a workaround which works for me is to memorize the name when there is an incoming call, or manually input the name in handset Phonebook. I think most cordless phones have that ability. The result is any incoming call that is in the Phonebook will show a Name which is similar to populating a speed dial slot in the OBi. This requires a little be of extra effort. At least you won't strain your eyes on the HD 52 in TV when the CID come in.  :D

Smee

Quote from: QBZappy on March 25, 2013, 09:35:22 PM
If you want to limit yourself to a relatively small list of names, as implied by your reference to the speed dial, a workaround which works for me is to memorize the name when there is an incoming call, or manually input the name in handset Phonebook. I think most cordless phones have that ability. The result is any incoming call that is in the Phonebook will show a Name which is similar to populating a speed dial slot in the OBi. This requires a little be of extra effort. At least you won't strain your eyes on the HD 52 in TV when the CID come in.  :D

Memorizing is way to much trouble for me. :-)  Would rather the Obi do the hard work for me.  It would save me from having to get new cordless phones.  My Uniden phones don't seem to like the leading 1 added to the CID and so trying to add the name/number to it's directories doesn't work.  Hopefully the Obi gods hear us.  ;D

Smee