News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202

Started by Felix, December 25, 2011, 02:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felix

I am looking at an article at Voxilla about OBi202, but don't see anything on obihai website...

bitstopjoe

MAYBE because they havent released it yet and it is not for sale? I am sure once it is avail. it will be on their webpage. No point in getting us geeks hot and bothered until it is ready to be put in our grubby hands :)

Just sayin`

Joe Sica

Felix

First, Voxilla seems to be getting this information from somewhere on Obihai website; however, I can't find it. So, the question is whether it is there or not.

If not, then you may have a point - but one can also argue that most people on this forum are loyal Obihai customers who have in some cases more than one device and are considering buying or recommending more. Therefore knowing that a new model is coming in a week or month would generate necessary good will (look at Apple strategy of keeping the buzz going)

If, on the other hand, Obihai did make an announcement about new model than (a) both your and mine arguments are moot, and (b-1) obi website may need some UI improvement or (b-2) I need to have my eyes examined.

I also just noticed that somebody else decided that the best place to make a post about upcoming model is in Installation forum... maybe the device is already out and he is installing?

Ostracus

The little bit of info is on that scrolling marquee on the Obihai home page and says the same thing as the voxilla article. The more interesting info IMHO is what a picture can't tell you.

Diana

Wouldn't be surprise if OBihai start deep discounting the OBi100s (and maybe the OBi110s) in anticipation of the release of the OBi202.

Questions:  

1. Will the user be able to use the OBi202 as a Asterisk Server using the USB port and Asterisk on a USB Stick?

2.  Will there be 2 SIP Lines (SP1 and SP2) per Phone Port or more than 2?

3.  Will there be a OBi212 (?) with a Line/FXO Port?

Stewart

Quote from: Diana on December 26, 2011, 01:11:36 AM
Will the user be able to use the OBi202 as a Asterisk Server using the USB port and Asterisk on a USB Stick?
Almost certainly not.  The programming model is proprietary; information needed to build an Asterisk would be unavailable, short of a massive reverse-engineering effort.  Of course, if OBi offered an Asterisk or FreeSWITCH distribution for their device, that would be an entirely different story.

Will there be 2 SIP Lines (SP1 and SP2) per Phone Port or more than 2?
I'm reasonably sure it will follow the current paradigm.  However many SPx there are (I sure hope that it's a lot more than 2), all will be accessible by all endpoints.

Will there be a OBi212 (?) with a Line/FXO Port?
IMO, not in the same form factor; I'm pretty sure that the PCB has room for only two analog interfaces.  Perhaps a larger unit, intended as a small office PBX, would have several FXS and FXO ports.

Encino_Stan

Quote from: Felix on December 25, 2011, 06:15:38 PM
First, Voxilla seems to be getting this information from somewhere on Obihai website; however, I can't find it. So, the question is whether it is there or not.

I think Voxilla is quite clear about where they got their information.
QuoteAccording to one of four graphic boxes that swipe horizontally and quickly across the top of company's web front page, here's a bit of what Obihai claims for the OBi202 ...
Then they simply state what is on the http://obihai.com/ page and make some speculations.

Armorfiend

Looks like it will be a device for RESELLERS to slap their logo onto...

rainlake

waiting for more than 2 spx too.............

Quote from: Stewart on December 26, 2011, 01:36:47 AM
Will the user be able to use the OBi202 as a Asterisk Server using the USB port and Asterisk on a USB Stick?
Almost certainly not.  The programming model is proprietary; information needed to build an Asterisk would be unavailable, short of a massive reverse-engineering effort.  Of course, if OBi offered an Asterisk or FreeSWITCH distribution for their device, that would be an entirely different story.

Will there be 2 SIP Lines (SP1 and SP2) per Phone Port or more than 2?
I'm reasonably sure it will follow the current paradigm.  However many SPx there are (I sure hope that it's a lot more than 2), all will be accessible by all endpoints.

Will there be a OBi212 (?) with a Line/FXO Port?
IMO, not in the same form factor; I'm pretty sure that the PCB has room for only two analog interfaces.  Perhaps a larger unit, intended as a small office PBX, would have several FXS and FXO ports.