News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110: After calls the unit needs to be reset (unplugged/plugged back in)

Started by vng0, December 25, 2011, 05:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vng0

I have a Panasonic DECT 6.0 phone set and have internet and TV over VDSL with Alcatel-Lucent 7130 modem.

I've upgraded the Obi110 to latest firmware but after some calls when we put the handset back down into the base (wireless) the Obi110 power-indicator goes red.  There is no problem with the internet at this time and our TV service is not interrupted.  I must unplug the power cable and plug it back in .. then the Obi110 resets and we're back online. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Stewart

If this happens on calls made through the Line port, but not SIP or GV calls, I suspect an electrical disturbance to the modem.  Try putting a DSL filter at the Line port jack.

If it happens on SIP calls, but not Line port calls, possibly an incompatibility with the router function of your modem.  Changing client port (and/or server port, if provider supports an alternate) may help.

Please post details on what is configured for Line port, SP1 and SP2, and which of those are problematic.  Also, is the problem limited to outbound calls our inbound calls?

vng0

Some more information:

I am not using the PSTN line port for any calls.  All calls are via voip provider voip.ms.  With respect to chaning client or server port .. I don't know what that means or how to do that.  I am a newcomer to voip for home.

With regards to when the error occurs I haven't taken notice but today it was after an inbound call. 

Stewart

Since there are many OBi users with VoIP.ms and no problems, I would assume that either:

1. Your OBi is somehow incompatible with your modem/gateway.
2. You have set it up incorrectly (IMO unlikely, given that you can make and receive calls).
3. The device is defective.

If you can do it easily, take the device to a friend's, with a different modem and preferably a different ISP.  If you still have the issue, I'd assume (3) and contact Obihai support.

Alternatively, if you want to take a port shot at the problem, try changing Voice Services->SP1 Service->X_UserAgentPort from 5060 to 5070, and Service Providers->ITSP Profile A->SIP->ProxyServerPort from 5060 to 5080.  After each change, confirm that you can still register and make calls.  If not, undo the change and report what error you got.

vng0

I will give it a try and see what happens.

I'll try and take notice if it only happens on inbound or outbound calls.  What I've noticed though is that it will happen when I put the phone back down in the base.  It's almost as if there's some kind of surge or something that occurs to put the obi110 into this mode.

Stewart

Quote from: vng0 on December 26, 2011, 10:11:39 PM
It's almost as if there's some kind of surge or something that occurs to put the obi110 into this mode.
Interesting.  Try picking up phone, hear dial tone, put back in base without making a call.  Repeat that a dozen times.  If if causes a crash, you must be right, because the OBi doesn't communicate with the server at all, until you dial a complete number.

vng0

I gave that a try (picking up and hanging up) and nothing really happened.  Yesterday was really annoying as it dropped several calls in a row so I tried a few things:

* Replaced the ethernet cable
* Put a gigabit switch (Asus GX-D1081) I had lying around between the Obi110 and my modem/router.
* Ran the phone line from the Obi110 through my APC power bar and then to the phone to see if that limits any possible surges
* Forced the Obi110 into full duplex as follows (found on another forum):
     Please try to force OBi to 100Mbit/Full duplex.
     Press *** 0 option 27#, press 1, value=1#, press 1 to save

We'll see how it goes today but I have already noticed better call quality.  Previously on calls when people talked at the same time you could hear the delay but now it's a normal conversation.  Had a couple of calls this morning that we initiated and the Obi110 has not reset itself.

Fingers crossed.