News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dedicated Gmail Account for OBi GV Number?

Started by Joe903, December 27, 2011, 01:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe903

Should we create a dedicated Gmail account specifically for the OBI and our GV number?   I have searched the documentation and forums and I have not been able to find a consensus regarding the best way to set up a Gmail/GV number for the OBi. We will be switching from Comcast to Gmail soon for all our email so we are noobs at both Gmail and OBI.

Can someone explain the pros and cons of using our basic email account versus using a dedicated account?

Does having a dedicated account for the Obi make it harder to check messages, etc.?

Can you leave your Gmail/email open and still receive calls if you don't have a dedicated account?

Does it make a difference if we use Outlook to check the Gmail/emeail?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Joe

jimates

Having the gmail account open in a browser will likely interfere with the Obi's receiving calls.

You can use another program such as outlook to check the gmail account without a problem, as long as the account is not open in a browser.

Rick

Quote from: Joe903 on December 27, 2011, 01:14:42 PM
Should we create a dedicated Gmail account specifically for the OBI and our GV number?   I have searched the documentation and forums and I have not been able to find a consensus regarding the best way to set up a Gmail/GV number for the OBi. We will be switching from Comcast to Gmail soon for all our email so we are noobs at both Gmail and OBI.

Can someone explain the pros and cons of using our basic email account versus using a dedicated account?

Does having a dedicated account for the Obi make it harder to check messages, etc.?

Can you leave your Gmail/email open and still receive calls if you don't have a dedicated account?

Does it make a difference if we use Outlook to check the Gmail/emeail?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Joe

I'm by no means an expert, having received my device just days ago and about to transfer my landline.  But here's my two cents.

You should setup a separate gmail account, with a unique GV number, for your OBI.  Why?  OBI requires that you give the device your google account log in information.  Do you want to do that for your primary email account (and potentially other Google services)?

You can go into your OBI Google account and setup your Gmail to forward to another email address.  That email address can be gmail, Comcast, or anything else. 

You can use multiple email clients to read gmail including Outlook, Thunderbird, and others.  Of course, since you would forward your OBI gmail to your main gmail, you can use your browser also. 

You can also setup GV to send you a text message when you get a voicemail.  You can also setup GV to transcribe the voicemail and send it to email and via text message.  And you'll find a handy Play Message button in the email transcription (not the text) that allows you to hear the exact message.

And if you're giving up your Comcast email, make sure you're doing it for the right reason, since you can read it using many email clients...

Joe903

Thanks for the explaination, Rick. A separate account sounds like the answer. FYI - we are only giving up Comcast because it is not available at our new (future) house.