News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Auto Attendant...

Started by babloo80, December 28, 2011, 07:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babloo80

Hello there,

Here is my current setup.

Setup-1 (OBi 110):
SP1: GV
SP2: Action VoIP
Line: Ooma

Setup-2  (OBi 110):
SP1: -
SP2: -
Line: PSTN-1

Now, I created two OBi talk account one for Setup 1 and other for Setup 2. I did add 'circle of trust' between both the accounts.
I am able to call from Setup-1 to Setup-2 and the reverse by using OBi Talk numbers. I was also able to dial out calls on Setup-1 (using Setup-2) onto SP1's GV. So far works as expected.

With all the above working, I wanted to move to the next step. Which is, adding my mobile phone to the 'Trusted Callers'.

Now my problem...
Problem 1 (Can live with it. But if fixable, I would appreciate it): When I call 'Setup-1' from my mobile phone to Ooma; 
2 of 3 time, it goes to 'Auto Attendant' but during 1 of 3, it rings the phone without going to 'Auto Attendant' 

Problem 2: When I am able to reach 'Auto Attendant' from my mobile phone, I am unable to dial out a call neither using the pre-configured speed dial nor by dialing the numbers (tried using **1, **2, as well as **9 to Setup-2) . I suspect some problem with flash timing (not really sure, if I am making sense) as the numbers from the keypad does not match with the one being told by auto attendant.
The mobile phones I used for tests are: Nokia N95 & Motorola Atrix (with cyanogenmod beta. not sure, if this matters.) 
BTW, if I use OBiON from my android, it works flawless :).

My apologies for the lengthy problem description.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
B

Stewart

Problem 1, I'm guessing that the OBi doesn't reliably see the correct caller ID.  What does Call History show for a failing call?  Possible fix: try increasing RingDelay for the Line port, e.g. from 4000 to 6000.

Problem 2, I don't know why DTMF doesn't work reliably over the Ooma link; you might troubleshoot by temporarily setting a landline number as trusted and testing from there.

However, why are you calling the Ooma line?  Perhaps the GV line would work better (if your mobile is associated with that GV account, you'll need to turn off "Direct access to voicemail when calling your Google number from this phone").

What is your overall purpose, i.e. what service will you be calling out on?  To what country?  Landline or mobile?  (I'm asking, because there may be an economical alternative that does not involve the OBi, or would use an additional service with the OBi.)

babloo80

Thank you for your response.

I shall try your suggestion on using google voice.
With regard to...
>What is your overall purpose, i.e. what service will you be calling out on?  To what country?  Landline or mobile?  >(I'm asking, because there may be an economical alternative that does not involve the OBi, or would use an >additional service with the OBi.)

I would be calling India using my OBi (which is going to be Setup-2). This is not exactly my primary purpose as I already have another Ooma there. I would be using OBi to bridge calls in order to dial using using local pstn phone (i.e a local landline in india).
Not sure if I am making sense?

Some possible scenarios with which I am trying to get it work...
1. Using OBi Talk from Setup-1, call Setup-2 and dial out calls local to Setup-2.
2. Using my mobile phone, dial out to Setup-1 thru GV (as you suggested) or Ooma and use OBi Talk to dial out to Setup-2 and use that to dial out calls local to Setup-2.

Let me know.

Thanks
B

Stewart

Casual (unlicensed) interconnection with the Indian PSTN has been illegal.  You should check whether that's still in force, before using Setup-2 to relay calls from overseas to the Line port.  I don't believe that there are any prohibitions against calling your India contact on the OBi, or allowing him/her to access your resources in the US.

If you decide that it's ok to use the PSTN connection, I recommend getting a second GV account (or another free or inexpensive US DID) for Setup-2, rather than relaying calls from your mobile through Setup-1.  This will reduce latency and elminate a possible point of failure.

Bypassing OBi altogether, to call from your mobile to India mobile, you can use your existing Actionvoip account as a calling card ($0.05 setup + $0.015/min.)  Localphone is also $0.015/min., but there is no setup charge and you won't need two-stage dialing.  You get a small credit at signup, so you can test without making a payment.

If you still have DTMF issues when accessing your OBi AA, a free or inexpensive SIP DID may help, e.g. IPKall.   

babloo80

Thanks for the advice.
Found that Problem 2 is related to the way Ooma is treating DTMF tones from my mobile. Not sure, if this makes sense. But, I was able to get the same setup to work when I call Google Voice.