News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trouble calling 866#

Started by wlepse, December 28, 2011, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlepse

Did a quick search and didn't see anything similar. Basically when I call an 866 number it rings several times then eventually a recording comes up and says it didn't understand my code entered. The recording is from the company I am trying to reach not a general telephone comapny recording. When I call the same number from my cell it rings once and it immediately starts with prompts and asks for extension you want. Any idea why the Obi110 with GV would do this? Not sure if this is going to apply to other toll free numbers as well.

Stewart

See my post in this thread: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2050.msg13019;topicseen#msg13019 .

For a quick workaround, i.e. without making any changes to your OBi setup, call a "calling card" access number of some service, then dial the toll-free free number from there.  With some, e.g. Localphone, there is no charge.

Though it won't work for 855, for other toll-free numbers you can use SIPBroker, which does not require you to sign up.  Dial e.g. 1 213 258 4475.  At the prompt, dial *1866xxxxxxx .  Complete list of access numbers is here http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/pstnNumbers .

bhasden

Quote from: wlepse on December 28, 2011, 01:56:10 PM
Did a quick search and didn't see anything similar. Basically when I call an 866 number it rings several times then eventually a recording comes up and says it didn't understand my code entered. The recording is from the company I am trying to reach not a general telephone comapny recording. When I call the same number from my cell it rings once and it immediately starts with prompts and asks for extension you want. Any idea why the Obi110 with GV would do this? Not sure if this is going to apply to other toll free numbers as well.

I have the same problem. I need to call an 866 number for a conference call every morning and I can only do that through my cell (regularly or via Google Voice). I can't connect to the line through the gmail interface or through the OBi or OBi android app.

Stewart

Quote from: bhasden on December 29, 2011, 11:09:26 AMI have the same problem. I need to call an 866 number for a conference call every morning and I can only do that through my cell (regularly or via Google Voice).
Because none of the workarounds posted or referenced here work for you?

Please post what you've already tried and the result.  Also (if it's a public conferencing service), please post the 866 number (without any access codes, of course), so we can see if there are any special issues with that number.

bhasden

Quote from: Stewart on December 29, 2011, 12:45:05 PM
Quote from: bhasden on December 29, 2011, 11:09:26 AMI have the same problem. I need to call an 866 number for a conference call every morning and I can only do that through my cell (regularly or via Google Voice).
Because none of the workarounds posted or referenced here work for you?

Please post what you've already tried and the result.  Also (if it's a public conferencing service), please post the 866 number (without any access codes, of course), so we can see if there are any special issues with that number.

Sorry, I didn't try the workarounds. I'm not really interested in adding another step to the process of making the call. I don't have the conference call number on me right now, but I'll post it when I get home and can look it up and confirm that it still doesn't work.

Stewart

Quote from: bhasden on December 30, 2011, 10:42:24 AMI'm not really interested in adding another step to the process of making the call.
This was just for testing, to save you the trouble of making configuration changes to the OBi.

However, if you set up the OBi to route toll-free through another provider, you won't have to do anything special on each call.

wlepse

Quote from: Stewart on December 28, 2011, 04:22:38 PM

Though it won't work for 855, for other toll-free numbers you can use SIPBroker, which does not require you to sign up.  Dial e.g. 1 213 258 4475.  At the prompt, dial *1866xxxxxxx .  Complete list of access numbers is here http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/pstnNumbers .

Thanks...I used the SIP Broker and it worked perfect. Kind of a pain but I don't call 800#'s often so I can deal with it to be able to make free calls.  ;D

bhasden

Sorry for the delay. The number that I'm having problems connecting to is 866 xxx xxxx. Previously, it would just ring continuously. The problem I'm having now is that it connects, but when I type in the conference code the first and last numbers are usually dropped. For example, if the conference code is 123-456, when I key in the number the conference line notifies me that the code 2345 is invalid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Apparently it isn't OK to post the telephone number, I have removed it by request.

Stewart

Quote from: bhasden on February 14, 2012, 06:09:34 AM... but when I type in the conference code the first and last numbers are usually dropped.
Try the following: Wait until the greeting ends, before entering the first digit.  Hold each key for a longer than normal time, perhaps 1/4 second.

If that doesn't help, try setting for ITSP Profile A (or B, for whichever service you are using to call the 866 number) -> General -> DTMF Method to InBand.

If still no luck, please post what service you are using to call the 866 number.

Everton

I try that Conference number from GV on my OBi110 and enter xxx-xxx and it recognize all the numbers.  I try using a set of different numbers and it read back all the numbers as it was entered.  Maybe there is a setup issue that is causing this issue.  Have you tried another phone, preferably a corded phone?

Quote from: bhasden on February 14, 2012, 06:09:34 AM
Sorry for the delay. The number that I'm having problems connecting to is xxx xxx xxxx. Previously, it would just ring continuously. The problem I'm having now is that it connects, but when I type in the conference code the first and last numbers are usually dropped. For example, if the conference code is xxx-xxx, when I key in the number the conference line notifies me that the code xxxx is invalid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bhasden

Quote from: Stewart on February 14, 2012, 07:30:57 AM
Quote from: bhasden on February 14, 2012, 06:09:34 AM... but when I type in the conference code the first and last numbers are usually dropped.
Try the following: Wait until the greeting ends, before entering the first digit.  Hold each key for a longer than normal time, perhaps 1/4 second.

If that doesn't help, try setting for ITSP Profile A (or B, for whichever service you are using to call the 866 number) -> General -> DTMF Method to InBand.

If still no luck, please post what service you are using to call the 866 number.

I'm calling the number from a cordless phone connected to the Obi110. I'll try the setting change you mentioned and see if it works. Thanks for your help.

Robert.Thompson

I don't know if this applies to your situation...

When I tried to call 800's using VoIP.ms, most of the times it would not connect the call or I would get some type of recording.

VoIP.ms said that this was happening because I was passing an 800 number in my caller ID. They said to use a regular phone number in my Caller ID - I did and had no further problems dialing 800 numbers.

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

nang

Any one found any permanent solution to this issue? I am using GV with OBI and use it every day to call my 866- conference call number.

Today I stated having issue....it won't connect no matter what I do. I used sip broker as posted in this thread to call......Will appreciate any help I can get.

RFord

Google Voice seems to be having a system wide problem with calling toll Free numbers today.  See this post for alternative set which does not use GV!

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2357.msg15182#msg15182

Quote from: nang on March 06, 2012, 07:44:49 AM
Any one found any permanent solution to this issue? I am using GV with OBI and use it every day to call my 866- conference call number.

Today I stated having issue....it won't connect no matter what I do. I used sip broker as posted in this thread to call......Will appreciate any help I can get.

Rick

Quote from: RFord on March 06, 2012, 08:50:22 AM
Google Voice seems to be having a system wide problem with calling toll Free numbers today.  See this post for alternative set which does not use GV!

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2357.msg15182#msg15182

Quote from: nang on March 06, 2012, 07:44:49 AM

I could not call an 800 number yesterday, but I used GV on the PC to call it and ring my house phone and that worked...