News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

There needs to be a better way

Started by Rick, December 29, 2011, 11:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

There are numerous ways to configure the OBiTalk.  I assumed, apparently incorrectly, that a new user should use OBiTalk.  I did that with GV and it worked great.  I tried to do that with CallCentric for SP2, and it did NOT work great.  I receive calls, but cannot make calls.  CallCentric is currently reviewing my data and I hope for a quick fix and then a 911 test.

The point of this post is that I can't find any SIMPLE and CLEAR explanation of the reasons to use one configuration method over another.  I think I read that if I use the direct config via IP, then ObiTalk will overwrite it. 

Can someone clearly explain this for myself and other new users?

Thank you.

RonR

Configuring the OBi directly/manually is not complex.  If all you need is a simple cofiguration with a Google Voice account and nothing more, it's probably a push as to whether the OBiTALK Web Portal is quicker and easier.  If you need anything more, I feel it's much simpler and faster to access the OBi directly.  Plus you have much more control and status information available if you acess the OBi directly.

By default, Auto Provisioning is enabled in the OBi, allowing the OBiTALK Web Portal to take control of configuring the OBi.  If you elect to configure the OBi directly, you must disable Auto Provisioning in order to prevent the OBiTALK Web Portal from having its way:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Manually configuring Google Voice on SP1 is very easy:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

Manually configuring a SIP provider such as Callcentric on SP2 is no harder:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> Name : (provider name)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : (proxy server)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> OutboundProxy : (proxy server)   (if an outbound proxy is used)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (sip username)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthPassword : (sip password)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> CallerIDName : (callerid name)

Rick

Ron:

Thank you, that makes it clearer.

So, after one sets up SP1 and SP2, is the digimap created or does one have to do that also?  I'm still working understanding the digimap syntax.

Then, once I have the two services setup, I have to put in 911 to the CallCentric digimap...  :)

RonR

Quote from: Rick on December 29, 2011, 01:06:33 PM
So, after one sets up SP1 and SP2, is the digimap created or does one have to do that also?  I'm still working understanding the digimap syntax.

Most settings in the OBi have a factory default value that is usually a reasonable starting point.

The default DigitMaps in the OBi will get you going, but you will probably want to enhance them at some point.  For example, you might want 7-digit local dialing capability, in which case you could use the following on SP1 and SP2:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A/B -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.'@'@@.)

where aaa is your local area code.

DigitMaps and OutboundCallRoutes are probably the most difficult aspect to get your head around.  Download the OBi Administrator Guide and spend some time studying it if you want to get proficient into this area.

Then, once I have the two services setup, I have to put in 911 to the CallCentric digimap...  :)

Normally, 911 calls are routed to the LINE Port by a rule in the PHONE Port OutboundCallRoute:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

To send 911 to SP2 instead, it's a minor change:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{911:sp2},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},

Rick

Quote from: RonR on December 29, 2011, 01:23:24 PM
So, after one sets up SP1 and SP2, is the digimap created or does one have to do that also?  I'm still working understanding the digimap syntax.

Most settings in the OBi have a factory default value that is usually a reasonable starting point.

The default DigitMaps in the OBi will get you going, but you will probably want to enhance them at some point.  For example, you might want 7-digit local dialing capability, in which case you could use the following on SP1 and SP2:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A/B -> General -> DigitMap:

(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.'@'@@.)

DigitMaps and OutboundCallRoutes are probably the most difficult aspect to get your head around.  Download the OBi Administrator Guide and spend some time studying it if you want to get proficient into this area.

Then, once I have the two services setup, I have to put in 911 to the CallCentric digimap...  :)

Normally, 911 calls are routed to the LINE Port by a rule in the PHONE Port OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},

To send 911 to SP2 instead, it's a minor change:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{911:sp2},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},

Ron:

I appreciate your help.  For many years I provided help on the Dell forums, racking up over 30,000 posts :).  Helping others learn is what it's all about.

I downloaded the guide the other day, haven't gotten into it yet.  I had planned on doing this last week, after switching my alarm to cellular and porting my landline, but that went awry and I'm now putting an internet module on the alarm and then beginning the porting late tomorrow or Saturday.

Here's what CallCentric told me to put in for SP2:

(*xx.|**275*x.|[3469]11|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Doesn't look anything like the one you suggested, at least to me.  :)

RonR

Quote from: Rick on December 29, 2011, 01:35:25 PM
Here's what CallCentric told me to put in for SP2:

(*xx.|**275*x.|[3469]11|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Try this instead:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> DigitMap:

([3469]11|**275*xx.|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.'@'@@.)

If you need one or more Star Codes to be sent to Callcentric, add them at the beginning:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> DigitMap : (*67|*69|*77|...)

Rick

The only calls I want to go to CallCentric are 911.  Everything else is to go through GV.

RonR

Quote from: Rick on December 29, 2011, 01:57:29 PM
The only calls I want to go to CallCentric are 911.  Everything else is to go through GV.

Then, technically, you don't need to worry about the SP2 DigitMap as 911 calls are handled as a special case from the main PHONE Port DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute.  I still recommend you use the one I proposed so that if you ever add credit to your CallCentric account, you'll be ready to immediately make outgoing calls.

You might also find Sip Broker useful, which is what the **275*xx. rule is for.  The Mipd and [^*#]@@.'@'@@. rules will allow you to call SIP URI's from Speed Dials.

Rick

Thanks Ron!  I'll play with this tomorrow before my alarm internet box arrives.

Rick

DaveSin

Quote from: Rick on December 29, 2011, 02:15:19 PM

Rick

Rick:

Out of curiousity, which Alarm Box/Module are you using and which monitoring company are you using?  Are you still going with the Cellular Unit as well?  What will be the monthly monitoring cost with this monitoring company?

We are currently using a PAP2T-NA (ARIM) that is supplied by Alarm Relay.  They want $144 for the provisioned PAP2T-NA, but if you already own one, they only require $10.00 payment for shipping their unit to you and you will have to send them your PAP2T-NA.  Turns out we had a idle PAP2T after purchasing the OBi110.  Alarm Relay only charge $8.95 per month, payable one-year in advance.  There is a one-time setup fee of $35.00, so the first year it works out to be $11.83 per month.  There is an additional $15/month for Cellular Monitoring. 

BTW, there is no third party involve with the Internet Monitoring, as the alarm signals are sent directly to Alarm Relay, via a server located in the "Cloud".

Rick

Quote from: DaveSin on December 29, 2011, 02:43:25 PM
Quote from: Rick on December 29, 2011, 02:15:19 PM

Rick

Rick:

Out of curiousity, which Alarm Box/Module are you using and which monitoring company are you using?  Are you still going with the Cellular Unit as well?  What will be the monthly monitoring cost with this monitoring company?

We are currently using a PAP2T-NA (ARIM) that is supplied by Alarm Relay.  They want $144 for the provisioned PAP2T-NA, but if you already own one, they only require $10.00 payment for shipping their unit to you and you will have to send them your PAP2T-NA.  Turns out we had a idle PAP2T after purchasing the OBi110.  Alarm Relay only charge $8.95 per month, payable one-year in advance.  There is a one-time setup fee of $35.00, so the first year it works out to be $11.83 per month.  There is an additional $15/month for Cellular Monitoring. 

BTW, there is no third party involve with the Internet Monitoring, as the alarm signals are sent directly to Alarm Relay, via a server located in the "Cloud".

Dave:

Yes, I've seen you post this info on several other forums   ;)

AlarmRelay no longer will provision your own box, or have you send a box and send you a provisioned one.  They used to do that, but no longer.

That is who I've used for the past 4 years.

Unfortunately the box still is in transit with USPS...  Installing on Monday.

Rick

Quote from: RonR on December 29, 2011, 12:34:01 PM
Configuring the OBi directly/manually is not complex.  If all you need is a simple cofiguration with a Google Voice account and nothing more, it's probably a push as to whether the OBiTALK Web Portal is quicker and easier.  If you need anything more, I feel it's much simpler and faster to access the OBi directly.  Plus you have much more control and status information available if you acess the OBi directly.

By default, Auto Provisioning is enabled in the OBi, allowing the OBiTALK Web Portal to take control of configuring the OBi.  If you elect to configure the OBi directly, you must disable Auto Provisioning in order to prevent the OBiTALK Web Portal from having its way:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Manually configuring Google Voice on SP1 is very easy:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

Manually configuring a SIP provider such as Callcentric on SP2 is no harder:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> Name : (provider name)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : (proxy server)
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> OutboundProxy : (proxy server)   (if an outbound proxy is used)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (sip username)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthPassword : (sip password)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> CallerIDName : (callerid name)

I did this EXACTLY, step by step.  Rebooted the device, then used CallCentrics Click2Dial to receive a call and have it make the test call.  Call comes in, nothing goes out.  Hung up, dialed **217771234567, nothing happens (used the **2 to make it use the CallCentric line).  If I dial 17771234567 directly, I get a busy signal.  Calling out directly (i.e. calling my cell), works fine, and the cell shows the GV number as it should.  

I then put in your digimap.  No luck. I put in their digimap.  No luck.  It won't make a call on SP2 with CallCentric.  I even overwrote the SIP password for CallCentric just in case the wrong one was in there.  No luck.

RonR

Quote from: Rick on December 30, 2011, 01:53:04 PM
Call comes in, nothing goes out.

I don't understand this statement.

Hung up, dialed **217771234567, nothing happens (used the **2 to make it use the CallCentric line).

What does the OBi Call Status show during this call?
What does the OBi Call History show after this call?

If I dial 17771234567 directly, I get a busy signal.  Calling out directly (i.e. calling my cell), works fine, and the cell shows the GV number as it should.  

Your PrimaryLine is set to SP1 Service.  If you don't use **2, calls go out SP1 (Google Voice) by default.

17771234567 (area code 777) is not a valid number, so Google Voice rejects it.

You can set your PrimaryLine to SP2 Service, in which case calls would go out SP2 (Callcentric) by default and you would use **1 to place calls through SP1 (Google Voice) instead.

I then put in your digimap.  No luck. I put in their digimap.  No luck.  It won't make a call on SP2 with CallCentric.  I even overwrote the SIP password for CallCentric just in case the wrong one was in there.  No luck.

What is the error reported?  What does Call History show on a failed call?

Is SP2 Service Status on the main status page showing Registered?

Rick

Quote from: RonR on December 30, 2011, 02:13:15 PM
Call comes in, nothing goes out.

I don't understand this statement.

Sorry - Calls come in fine to CallCentric number, no outgoing calls complete. 

Hung up, dialed **217771234567, nothing happens (used the **2 to make it use the CallCentric line).

What does the OBi Call Status show during this call?

Call 1             

Terminal 1   Terminal 2
Terminal ID   PHONE1   SP2
State   trying   calling
Peer Name      
Peer Number   **217771234567   17771234567
Start Time   17:23:33   17:23:33
Duration   00:00:00   00:00:00
Direction   Outbound   Outbound
Peer RTP Address      0.0.0.0:0
Local RTP Address      10.0.0.14:16806
RTP Transport      UDP
Audio Codec      tx=; rx=
RTP Packetization (ms)      tx=0; rx=0
RTP Packet Count      tx=0; rx=0
RTP Byte Count      tx=0; rx=0
Peer Clock Differential Rate      
Packets In Jitter Buffer      
Packets Out-Of-Order      
Packets (10ms) Interpolated      
Packets Late (Dropped)      
Packets Lost      
Packet Loss Rate      
Packet Drop Rate      
Jitter Buffer Length      
Received Interarrival Jitter      
DTMF Digits Received      
Jitter Buffer Underruns      
Jitter Buffer Overruns      
Sequence number discontinuities      
skew compensation      
send silence      

What does the OBi Call History show after this call?

Call 6   12/30/2011    16:40:59   

Terminal ID   PHONE1   SP2
Peer Name      
Peer Number   **217771234567   17771234567
Direction   Outbound   Outbound
16:40:59   New Call   
16:41:11   End Call   

If I dial 17771234567 directly, I get a busy signal.  Calling out directly (i.e. calling my cell), works fine, and the cell shows the GV number as it should.  

Your PrimaryLine is set to SP1 Service.  If you don't use **2, calls go out SP1 (Google Voice) by default.

17771234567 (area code 777) is not a valid number, so Google Voice rejects it.

You can set your PrimaryLine to SP2 Service, in which case calls would go out SP2 (Callcentric) by default and you would use **1 to place calls through SP1 (Google Voice) instead.

I then put in your digimap.  No luck. I put in their digimap.  No luck.  It won't make a call on SP2 with CallCentric.  I even overwrote the SIP password for CallCentric just in case the wrong one was in there.  No luck.

What is the error reported?  What does Call History show on a failed call?

No error reported...

Is SP2 Service Status on the main status page showing Registered?

Yes.

RonR

Everything appears to be working from the OBi end.  17771234567 is being sent out SP2 (I assume you're using a valid Callcentric number here that's not your own).  Try calling **2 **275* 011 188888# and see if you reach the Sip Broker test announcement.

You may have to ask Callcentric what their logs are showing for your calls that go nowhere.

Rick

Quote from: RonR on December 30, 2011, 02:44:07 PM
Everything appears to be working from the OBi end.  17771234567 is being sent out SP2 (I assume you're using a valid Callcentric number here that's not your own).  Try calling **2 **275* 011 188888# and see if you reach the Sip Broker test announcement.

You may have to ask Callcentric what their logs are showing for your calls that go nowhere.

7771234567 is the test number Callcentric uses.  I also tried 411.  Nada.

I tried your Sip Broker test announcement and got nada.  Or calling my cell.  I agree it seems to be that Callcentric is the issue...  They just advised that I try changing ports from 5060 to 5061.  If that doesn't work, they suggested resetting the OBI to factory defaults and starting over...  :)  That's where I was headed.

Rick

Reset the unit and started from scratch.  Got GV working on incoming and outgoing, again could not get Callcentric working on outgoing.  Nothing goes through. 

I'm about to give up on this, I've followed all the setup instructions exactly.

I even asked them if there would be any router setting changes, but I've checked around and those should be fine. 

Very frustrating.

RonR

You could try capturing a SIP INVITE session after running a Syslog Server on your PC:

System Management -> Device Admin -> Syslog -> Server : <PC's IP Address>

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_SipDebugOption : Log All Except REGISTER Messages

I'm not well versed down at the SIP protocol level, but maybe something will be obvious or someone who is will spot the problem.

Rick

Thanks Ron.  Just got back after a day out.

Callcentric reviewed my latest screenshots and said all is well.   They report no attempted outbound calls.  They suggested setting up the OBI w/o GV and see what happens.

Here's my idea.  I'm going to find a different provider that offers a free account with a number to call and validate outgoing calls work.  If IT doesn't work, the issue is with the OBi.  If it does work, then the issue is with CallCentric.

I also sent in a ticket to OBi, but no response (not surprising, holiday weekend).

I will play tomorrow and see.

Rick

RonR

Removing Google Voice will not solve your problem.

Can you connect the OBi directly to your modem temporarily to bypass your router?  Power-cycle both the modem and the OBi after making the direct connection.  Then see if Callcentric works.