News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't set up OBI 110

Started by ChrisN, January 04, 2012, 09:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisN

I'm having a lot of trouble setting up this device. The web set up doesn't work and just times out.
I've followed the instructions in this thread: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1867.0
but was not able to get it to work. I get a dial tone but no service is available when I call the 222.222.222 number. I've checked all the connections several times and powered things on and off. I've updated the firmware.  I'm not sure what to do next here.

Thanks,

Chris

Stewart

When you dial ***1 from the OBi phone, do you hear an IP address?  If so, can you access that address from your Web browser?

What make/model of modem do you have?  Separate router, if any?  When you connect the OBi to your router or modem, does the indicator light (for the port you are connecting to) come on?

ChrisN

Yes, I can get the IP address and can access it from my browser. Its a Zhone modem M#: 6211-13-200. I'm also using a netgear wireless router. The indicator light does come on and flashes randomly.

thanks,

chris

Stewart

Quote from: ChrisN on January 04, 2012, 10:28:22 AM
Yes, I can get the IP address and can access it from my browser.
On the System Status page, is System Time correct?  What is shown on the Status line for SP1 Service Status, SP2 Service Status, OBiTALK Service Status?

RonR

Quote from: ChrisN on January 04, 2012, 09:31:19 AM
I'm having a lot of trouble setting up this device. The web set up doesn't work and just times out.

Chris,

Follow the steps in this post, ignoring step 1 if you can't reach the OBiTALK Web Portal:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1666.msg13860#msg13860

ChrisN

Thank you. I followed the instructions and there is no change—still no service available. I also changed the time zone to my local time thinking that may be causing problems, but it didn't help. Under status it says "service not configured" and "acquiring service."

RonR

Quote from: ChrisN on January 04, 2012, 10:58:04 AM
Thank you. I followed the instructions and there is no change—still no service available. I also changed the time zone to my local time thinking that may be causing problems, but it didn't help. Under status it says "service not configured" and "acquiring service."

Time Zone won't affect making calls.

If SP1 Service is reporting "Service Not Configured", go back and double-check the settings I referred you to.  You must have missed one or more.

ChrisN

Ok, went through and checked them all. The only thing different is that the username and password are under sip credentials, not sp1 service. I can't find anywhere to put a user name and password under sp1 service.

I should have added before that I also have a netgear 5-port switch connected since my modem and router only have one port each. Maybe that has something to do with it. I wanted to connect the obi110 directly to my airport express in the basement, but I think I read somewhere that it wouldn't work.

RonR

You should find the following:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)

Connecting the OBi though an Ethernet switch should not be a problem.  The fact that you can access the OBi with your web browser says the OBi is present on your LAN.

ChrisN

I checked over my connections and I guess my Netgear Router does have ports on the back--they were just taped over. I plugged the OBi110 directly into one of these ports thinking that it would solve the problem, but sadly its worse. Now I can't access the Obi110 through my browser at all. Do I have to configure the router to recognize the OBi110 somehow?

RonR

The LAN ports on your router should talk to any Ethernet devices (PC, OBi, etc.) that are plugged into them.  Does your PC have Internet access plugged into the same port you tried the OBi in?

Maybe there's a reason they were taped over (they're not normally packaged that way).

ChrisN

Ok, now I'm connected and can access the obi through the browser again. (the ip address changed, I guess.)The test is now working as well. I'm not sure what was going on with that switch, but something was causing a problem. Thanks for your help.

ChrisN

Quote from: RonR on January 04, 2012, 12:15:05 PM

Maybe there's a reason they were taped over (they're not normally packaged that way).

The tape said "insert CD before using" or something like that.

Well it worked for a while. I called the test number once and called myself from Skype and all was fine. But now there is no service again. Confusing.

RonR

Recheck the configuration settings I pointed you too.  If they've changed, delete the OBi from the OBiTALK Web Portal Dashboard, if you can reach it, and reconfigure the OBi manually.  If they've changed and you can't reach the OBiTALK Web Portal, disable your Internet connection (turn off your modem) while you set the OBi up manually.

ChrisN

Thanks so much for your help. Its working well now. Plugging directly into the router seemed to do the trick.
Thanks again,

Chris