News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 110 compatibility w/POTS alarm system

Started by tedinobiforum, December 29, 2011, 05:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tedinobiforum

How can I safely retain the POTS line connection to an analog alarm system while the rest of the house phone wiring is connected to the OBi 110? I have the impression that I cannot have all the phones connected to the POTS line and to the OBi 110 at the same time (damage to the OBi 110).  Is that true?  If this question has been answered, I apologize for repetition; I could not find it in a search.   Thanks.

RonR

You'll need to segregate your wiring such that the POTS line coming in from outside goes only to your analog alarm system (and possibly the LINE Port of your OBi if you also want the OBi to be able to make and receive calls using the POTS line).  The phones throughout your house must be isolated from the POTS line and be connected only to the PHONE Port of the OBi.

MurrayB

If your security system was properly installed the incoming POTS line should go to an RJ-31X jack that connects to your security system and your phone jacks. The RJ-31X jack allows the security system to hang up any phones that are off hook so an alarm can be transmitted to the monitoring station. Remove the connection to your phone jacks that go to the RJ-31X and replace that connection to the Line output of the Obi 110. The wires that you removed from the RJ-31X that connect to your phone jacks goes to the Phone connection on the Obi 110. This will maintain the integrity of your security system and all your phone jacks will be connected to the Obi. Be careful not to reverse the Line and the Phone connections or you will probably fry the Obi.

tedinobiforum

Thank you, gentlemen, for taking the time to respond and for your excellent advice.  I appreciate the help.

MurrayB

My pleasure. I am glad that I could add my knowledge to the excellent info from the Obi experts.

Dixon

On my alarm panel, I disconnected the wires that feed the whole house since my alarm will not work with OBI. I have the service manual so I knew which wires to disconnect. Then plugged the OBI in a phone jack to feed the whole house.
So the alarm panel has dedicated POTS line.
I could change to internet monitoring with an adapter from my alarm co. www.alarmrelay.com