News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV calls not forwarded to Obi???

Started by Stephen, December 29, 2011, 10:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

Hi,

I'm a new Obi user and was quickly able to setup with Google Voice to make outgoing calls.

However, when calling my GV number (from another phone), the phone attached to my Obi never rings.

The only tip I could find was

...........On the "Phones" tab, check the box next to the "Forwards to: Google Chat."

but, this was already checked and turning off/on again didn't help.

A curious part of this is that there was never a step in GV to setup to talk to the Obi - guessing this was supposed to be done automatically when entering GV login info on the ObiTalk page? 

Note: This GV account also forwards to my cell phone.  Is there a limitation that a GV number can only go to an Obi and nothing else?  (eg, which would sort of defeat the purpose of GV)

Any tips appreciated!!!

Stephen

RonR

The OBi uses the Google Chat forwarding phone in your Google Voice account.  If you have it enabled, calls should be forwarded to your OBi.  You must not be logged into your Google Talk account for calls to be forwarded to the OBi.

Google Voice will forward to as many forwarding phones that you have enabled in your account.

Stephen

Hi RonR,

Thanks again for your reply.

I was aware that Google Voice would forward to as many as were listed...

but, it sounds like what you are saying is that for Obi to work, I must not be logged into my account??

I tried logging out of GV online(web) and still the calls do not foward to my Obi.

btw - the screen on Gv changed so that there is no longer a "Forward to: Google Chat".  I now has a "Forwards calls to:" then check boxes for entries, sucha s Google chat.  Under my Google Chat is the entry for my gmail address. 

Seems like there should be some setting somewhere withing GV that recognizes or acknowledges the existence of the Obi.  From looking in GV the only thing it is aware of is my cell phone number and my gmail address.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephen

Stephen

NEW INFO:

Continuing to test calling my number which should forward to Obi, but my attached phone never rings.

After the call rings twice (on the calling phone), I see the green light (network signal - just to the right of the power indicator) flashes a couple of times.  This seems to indicate the Obi is being notified of the call, but it does not trigger ringing my phone.

Also, if I answer the phone after this green light flicker, i get a dial tone rather than the call.

Based on this new information, hoping someone may have a tip about how to configer the Obi to ring my phone.

outbound calls still work fine..

thank you!

Stewart

What, if anything, shows in the OBi's Call History, after a failed incoming call?

What does the caller hear?  Does GV voicemail answer after 25 seconds?  Do other phones on your GV account ring during the attempt?

RonR

Stephen,

You could try deleting your OBi from the OBiTALK Web Portal, resetting it to factory defaults, and then configuring it according to this post:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2169.msg13653#msg13653

Ignore the last section regarding SP2/Callcentric.

I'm not optimistic it will make any difference, but it's something to try.

Stephen

Stewart,

I can't find a way to check the Obi call history.  Have gone through everything I can find on the ObiTalk page -

where would i find this?

YES other devices connected to this GV number ring.  If i do not answer, it goes to my GV message mail.

Note: the Obi flashes once right after the call is placed.  It appears the unit is being notified, but just does not accept the notification as an incoming call.

If I pick up the handset after the flash, i get a dial tone instead of picking up the call.
(starting to think this is a defective unit)

I'll try RonR's suggestion of deleting and starting over.

Thank you,
Stephen

Stephen

RonR,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Could you please clarify?  The manual setup described in this link has referneces like:
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Manually configuring Google Voice on SP1 is very easy:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

How/where do I go to find this level of interface?  Eg, do i connect my computer via ethernet to the Obi directly?  is this an online web interface connection on some site?

Thank you,

Stephen
directio

RonR

Quote from: Stephen on January 05, 2012, 12:17:15 PM
I can't find a way to check the Obi call history.  Have gone through everything I can find on the ObiTalk page -

where would i find this?

Log into the OBi directly using the IP address returned by dialing ***1.  Using the tree on the left side of the page, navigate to:

Status -> Call History

Quote from: Stephen on January 05, 2012, 12:17:15 PM
Note: the Obi flashes once right after the call is placed.  It appears the unit is being notified, but just does not accept the notification as an incoming call.

If I pick up the handset after the flash, i get a dial tone instead of picking up the call.
(starting to think this is a defective unit)

The Ethernet LED on the OBi flashes quite frequently for a number of reasons and probably wasn't related to an incoming call.

You can test the OBi's ability to ring the PHONE Port:

1. Dial **0 to call the Auto Attendant.

2. Select option 3 to receive a callback.

3. Enter 0# as the callback number.

4. Hang up.

The Auto Attendant should call the PHONE Port back.

RonR

Quote from: Stephen on January 05, 2012, 12:47:22 PM
How/where do I go to find this level of interface?  Eg, do i connect my computer via ethernet to the Obi directly?  is this an online web interface connection on some site?

Assuming the OBi is connected to your LAN via one of the Ethernet ports on your router, no cabling changes are needed.  The OBi has its own user interface that's accessible at the IP address returned by dialing ***1.  The default login username/password is admin/admin (the password may have been changed by the OBiTALK Web Portal - if so, you can find the new password there).

Stephen

In looking at my call history, "some" of the inbound calls to my number are registered, though most are not.

the ones that showed up were: terminal ID GoogleVoice1

it shows the incoming call number.

This seems to indicate that it works "sometimes"... however, the phone never rings.

In testing the **0 call back feature, the obi light flickered continuously after the call (thinking it was ringing).  I picked up the hadn set several times (thinking the ringer trigger was not being sent), but got a dial tone.  After half a minute, I picked up again and heard "good bye".

Duplicated this behavior 3 times.  The phone never rings.

is there a way to reach tech support to verify that this unit is defective?
and get a replacement?  Or just ship it back and wait?

From an earlier post it sounded as if RonR noted that I must be logged out of GV online in order for Obi to work properly - is this true?  I've logged out before running these tests, but seems odd that I might miss calls while logged in.

RonR

Quote from: Stephen on January 05, 2012, 02:45:27 PM
In testing the **0 call back feature, the obi light flickered continuously after the call (thinking it was ringing).  I picked up the hadn set several times (thinking the ringer trigger was not being sent), but got a dial tone.  After half a minute, I picked up again and heard "good bye".

Duplicated this behavior 3 times.  The phone never rings.

The Auto Attendant Callback to the PHONE Port should ring the PHONE Port on a totally unconfigured OBi straight out of the box at factory defaults with nothing but a telephone connected to the PHONE Port.  If the telephone doesn't ring under those conditions, then the OBi or the telephone itself must be defective.

Stephen

I tried a couple of other phones.

The result is that the phone rings at the very end of the test return message cycle, when answered "good bye".

It takes about 45-60 seconds for the ring to happen, while the incoming light on the obi flickers constantly.

So - part of this seems to work, and part does not. 

Guessing the unit is defective, but with parts working it seems more like a configuration issue. 

I'm not sure if this forum is Tech Support. or whether to try to find another place to get confirmation on the need to return this unit.

thank you for your help,
Stephen

Stephen

UPDATE

It appears that Google Voice is the culprit or rather Groove IP app that connects voip through GV on my cell phone.

Yesterday my Obi hand set phone range - nearly jumped out of my chair - total shocker as i'd not attempted to get income calls to work for several days.

What was different?

My cell phone was turned off AND, i manually closed down all active apps before turning it off.

What appears to happen is that when  Groove IP connects to Google Voice, a setting gets flipped where only my cell phone gets notified of incoming calls (despite the Obi green light blipping, but not being able to answer).

If the cell phone is turned off without explicitly killing Groove Ip first, then my Obi hand set does not get the call.