News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using international DID to route between two dif Obi boxes

Started by Hortoristic, December 30, 2011, 09:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

Is it possible to have a rule on an Obi device, when defined by using the incomming caller ID can route the call to a different Obi device - instead of the SP account it's configured to on the Obi device?

Here's my scenario:

Both my wife and step daughter (who each have seperate Obi devices and live in different areas in USA) have much family in UK so we got an international DID in London area.  Right now it's assigned to my daughters Obi device near Seattle so her family and friends can call her fine.  Can I set some sort of rule that say if my wifes, mom calls, and recognized by the caller ID number, I can have it ring my wife's Obi device instead of my daughters?

I know it only costs like $5 to get a 2nd international DID and use it just for my wife - but hey I'm cheap and also extremely interested just how far we can push one of these little boxes!

lhm.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but you may find Localphone.com of interest as they will give you a free UK DID and free inbound calls when sign up. http://help.localphone.com/incoming_numbers

I have used them for a couple of years now.

RonR

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {12345678:pp(ob200123456)},...

would route incoming calls from CallerID 12345678 to the OBi whose OBiTALK number is 20123456.

Hortoristic

Ron - you definatley are the genious of all this - I hope Obi is paying you well - you so deserve the bucks as you just know the answer to any question we throw at you!

RonR

Hortoristic

Is it bridging or forwarding the call to the 2nd Obi device?  I guess what I'm getting at - if I make that change, will my daughters Obi device be busy while we are talking to the originating UK call that got routed to our Obi device?

RonR

The OBi always forwards by bridging calls together.  In this case, your daughter's OBi will call the 2nd OBi and if someone answers, it will bridge that call to the incoming SPx call.

You daughter's PHONE Port will not be tied up while this call is in progress.  Whether she can receive a second call on that SPx trunk or make an outgoing call on that SPx trunk is dependent on whether that service provider supports more than one call at a time (multiple channels).

Hortoristic

I'm using Voip.ms - so looks like I have two channels.  So if grandma calls daughters DID, her Obi will forward to our Obi and then my daughter still will be able to make or receive one additional call on voip.ms (we/she just ueses for international calls)

I'm guessing since her default SP is GV, getting a 2nd international call might be slim at same time but possible - most likely local GV calls would be coming or outgoing - so I'm hearing there would be in total of 3 other channels available as GV has two too, right?

RonR

The OBi can accommodate up to four bridges.  Bridges can be between trunks and/or endpoints (the PHONE Port and the Auto Attendant are endpoints).  Almost any combination of bridging is allowed and if a trunk supports multiple channels, it can be used multiple times.

infin8loop

Another option:  voip.ms provides one iNum number for free (no monthly fee and no charge for calls). 
There is an iNum London PSTN access number +44 2033556363  (I think they would drop the +44 country code and dial a "0" zero in it's place when dialed inside the UK).  The UK'ers would dial the access number and then enter your iNum number which looks like 883 5100 xxxx xxxx when prompted.  So for the cost of a local call to the London PSTN or maybe airtime minutes if they use a cell phone, the UK'ers can call you.

Now, if this would only work for me from calls to the Netherlands PSTN access number.  But I think my router is not playing well with the RTP part of calls in some cases.

More info on iNum is at http://www.inum.net/   

Good luck and Happy New Year to all on the forum! 
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

Stewart

Some other options:

Get a second UK DID, free from UKDDI http://www.3c.co.uk/sites/ukddi/ .

If calls will come only from specific contacts, set up a Localphone account with your contacts as "your" numbers and your VoIP.ms iNum as a contact.  Set your Location to London and on the Local Numbers tab, you'll see a London number.  When your contacts dial it, it will ring your VoIP.ms line, with no charge by Localphone.

If you use the iNum gateway as suggested by infin8loop, the caller can leave off the initial 883 510, i.e. s/he only has to dial the last 9 digits of the iNum (followed by # for faster connect).

infin8loop

Quote from: Stewart on December 30, 2011, 11:40:36 PM
If you use the iNum gateway as suggested by infin8loop, the caller can leave off the initial 883 510, i.e. s/he only has to dial the last 9 digits of the iNum (followed by # for faster connect).
The last 9 digits eh?  Yep, it works. I tried entering only the last 8 digits once, thinking the 883 means "global" country code and the "5100" means Voxbone (ie: iNum), and that didn't work. Did they already go into 5101..5109?  Or maybe a European thing, drop the country code and dial a "0" instead.  Anyway, thanks for the tip!
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher