News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two Obi devices using ONE GV account?

Started by khrisztian, December 31, 2011, 08:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khrisztian

Hello folks,

I currently make calls with one Google Voice account on which I have some credit left.
I´d like to configure TWO Obi devices to use the same account. The reason is that I want them to share the same calling credit, thus, recharging only one account.
I don´t mind about inbound calls: Did not activate any google voice number.

Two outbound calls at the same time? Is this possible?

Thanks!

Stewart

To use the same GV account from two OBi devices, you would link them via OBiTALK, so one OBi could call out using the other's GV service.  A GV account permits two concurrent calls, so both devices could be simultaneously in use.

However, GV's international rates are in general not very aggressive.  A better choice (once you've exhausted existing credit) may be to choose a lower cost provider that accepts unregistered calls, so you could use the same account from multiple devices.  You could still use GV (separate accounts) for free calls to US and Canada.  What countries are you calling?  Landlines or cellular?  Approximate monthly usage?

khrisztian

Hi Stewart,

Before GV I was using Skype for many years, so despite GV´s rates not being aggressive enough, it´s cheaper if you compare it to what Skype charges you by default: a call-setup fee, and expensive rates to some destinations. (Specially to foreign cell´s)  (with the added inconvenience of not being SIP-compliant)
I´m also using Rebtel while on the go, proves cheaper than skype for most countries.

Do you have any alternate provider in mind? My monthly VoIP usage is not big: Roughly $20 per month on international calls.

Thanks,

Stewart

You didn't say where you are calling, so I have only general advice:

Usually, a Betamax company will be least expensive.  Quality and reliability are not the best, support is almost non-existant, and some only accept limited forms of payment.  However, lots of folks like them, because they can talk and talk without worrying too much about the meter running.  A comparison list is here: http://backsla.sh/betamax .  Chart prices are in Euro cents per minute.  Some also add a setup fee and/or charge more for calling card (as opposed to VoIP) access.  Some offer "free" days to low cost destinations, but the rules are complex.  Check individual Web sites for details.

Next step up, look at Localphone, CallWithUs, Future-Nine, VoIP.ms.  All have decent support.  Localphone is similar to Rebtel in features and provides a small credit at signup, so you can test without making a payment.  The other three provide a choice of routes (on Web site or per call); if you have trouble or poor quality, you can retry with a more expensive carrier.

Voxbeam (a Localphone brand) is quite inexpensive and their Premium route is generally high quality.  Unfortunately, they authenticate by IP address only, so there is some hassle using them.  Small test credit provided at signup.

For excellent quality, reliability and support, look at Callcentric or Anveo.

All of the above providers accept unregistered calls, so you can use them in VGx or speed dials in your OBi, and you can configure multiple OBi devices to use the same account (though some limit you to two concurrent calls on a given account).