News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cell Phone Rings

Started by wpollock, January 03, 2012, 09:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wpollock

Recently set up OBI using Google Voice and will end Vonage service soon. have my current Vonage number instantly forwarded to my google voice number only. When my home phone rings my cell phone also does so instantly. I have not opted to include my cell phone as a call forwarding destination and am wondering why it is ringing.

Thanks for any replies.

jimates

Your cell phone is probably ringing from google, not vonage. If you do not want your cell to ring when calls come into your google voice number then go into your google voice page and uncheck your cell phone as a forwarding phone.

wpollock

in my google voice account my settings are:

My google voice telephone number forwards to google chat and currently my vonage number which I will disconnect on 1/8/12. My cell phone is not listed as a forwarding number.

Any more thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

RonR

Quote from: wpollock on January 03, 2012, 09:52:27 AM
have my current Vonage number instantly forwarded to my google voice number only.

Quote from: wpollock on January 03, 2012, 07:47:35 PM
My google voice telephone number forwards to google chat and currently my vonage number which I will disconnect on 1/8/12.

Isn't this a loop?

infin8loop

Quote from: RonR on January 03, 2012, 08:07:18 PM
Isn't this a loop?

You had me at "loop".   Just kidding!   LOL
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

wpollock

In reading my last post I can see where I have been confusing about my problem.

I currently have:
A Vonage number for home service which I will terminate on 1/8/12. In my call forwarding feature for Vonage I have my incoming calls immediately forwarded to my google voice number only.

I have a google voice account set up to use the obihai device for home phone service. In my voice settings call forwarding is set up as follows:

calls are forwarded to google chat and to my current vonage home number which I will terminate on 1/8/12. My cell phone is not on any call forwarding list and yet it rings.
Other questions which comes to mind:

What will happen to my ability to receive home calls when my Vonage number terminates? Surely I will receive them through my google voice number that is already established?

Is there a feature in google voice to set a length of time for my home phone to ring before being forwarded to google chat and any other phone I should choose to forward to?

Thanks

Thanks

RonR

Quote from: wpollock on January 04, 2012, 10:53:14 AM
I currently have:
A Vonage number for home service which I will terminate on 1/8/12. In my call forwarding feature for Vonage I have my incoming calls immediately forwarded to my google voice number only.

I have a google voice account set up to use the obihai device for home phone service. In my voice settings call forwarding is set up as follows:

calls are forwarded to google chat and to my current vonage home number which I will terminate on 1/8/12.

This still looks like a loop:

Vonage number forwards to Google Google Voice number which forwards back to Vonage number.

What will happen to my ability to receive home calls when my Vonage number terminates? Surely I will receive them through my google voice number that is already established?

When you terminate your Vonage service you will lose your Vonage number and Vonage will no longer forward calls received at that number.

Is there a feature in google voice to set a length of time for my home phone to ring before being forwarded to google chat and any other phone I should choose to forward to?

There is not.

Stewart

It does not normally make sense to forward from A to B and also from B to A.  That creates a loop, which results in an error.  Possibly Vonage is ringing your Network Availability number, or Google rings your cell, after detecting the loop.

If you have a phone connected to the OBi (but not the Vonage adapter), forward your Vonage calls to GV, but do not have GV ring your Vonage number.

If you have a phone connected to the Vonage adapter (but not the OBi), have GV ring the Vonage number, but turn off forwarding at Vonage.

If you have separate phones connected to both devices, you probably don't need either forward.

If you have canceled your Vonage service (as opposed to porting the number), then when it is disconnected you won't be able to receive calls on your Vonage number anymore.  Callers may hear a message that the number has been disconnected, or (if you have arranged this with Vonage), they may hear a message advising them of your new number.

wpollock

I do have my Vonage, which is not connected to my home phone,instantly forwarded to my google voice number only. My home phone is connected to my OBI device via my internet provider. I would prefer to only have my google voice number forward only when I should choose to do so but it appears there has to be at least one physical number to which it will always forward regardless. Is this correct or am I misunderstanding?

Vonage allows me to either enable or disable call forwarding at any time to any phone of choice either online or from my home handset.

Can I at least do so from within my  google voice account?

Thanks

RonR

You can have Vonage forward calls to your Google Voice number, but you should have Google Voice forward only to the Google Chat (the OBi).  You will then receive calls to your Vonage number and to your Google Voice number on your OBi.

wpollock

So you are saying the checked google chat forward box represents any and all call(s) coming to my google voice number from the obihai device?

Second, why do I get a prompt in google voice settings telling me I must include one physical phone number when I try to delete the number I have selected as a call forwarding number?
I would prefer to only add a forwarding number other than google chat when I want to do so.

Thanks

RonR

Quote from: wpollock on January 04, 2012, 12:00:56 PM
So you are saying the checked google chat forward box represents any and all call(s) coming to my google voice number from the obihai device?

Checking the Google Chat forwarding phone causes ALL incoming calls to your Google Voice number to be sent to your OBi.  Outgoing calls from your OBi are not affected by the Google Chat forwarding phone.

Quote from: wpollock on January 04, 2012, 12:00:56 PM
Second, why do I get a prompt in google voice settings telling me I must include one physical phone number when I try to delete the number I have selected as a call forwarding number?
I would prefer to only add a forwarding number other than google chat when I want to do so.

You shouldn't be trying to delete the forwarding number.  Simply uncheck the enable box so that calls are not forwarded to it.

wpollock

Thanks for the help Ron. On another note and maybe to late, you mentioned porting my Vonage number. We tried to port it into google voice but was prompted that it was not recognized. The number was assigned as a 214 area code in Dallas,Texas and we have been moving it(the Vonage device)with us as needed. If we can in fact port it and use it as our google voice that would be great.

RonR

There are a number of threads on this forum regarding porting numbers to Google Voice.  They will give you better advice on the that topic than I can.

Beefeater

Here is a similar problem and the fix. My setup was working fine for some time when my incoming google voice calls would go to voice mail. OBI box stopped ringing my phones, yet I was able to make outgoing calls ok. Removed the entire house {5 phones} from the OBI box and attached only one phone - still no ring. The fix was I had an Ipod with "Talkatone" utilizing my google voice account running on my Ipod; and it acted as if my router was sending the google voice packets to the wifi attached Ipod rather than OBI box. Signed off GV in Talkatone and Voila I'm well again.

jimates

Your router has nothing to do with it. Talkatone uses the chat feature in gmail just like the Obi does. (Usually) Both can't be signed into the gmail account at the same time. Outgoing calls are not affected just as you can make outgoing calls from within gmail and the Obi both at the same time, but only receive calls on one.

With the Obi and gmail, the last one to connect to the servers is the one that is active, but with Talkatone it seems to renew it's connection often so it usually takes control.