News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Wanting to leave myself a a memo for transcription from home phone.

Started by flamaest@gmail.com, January 07, 2012, 04:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamaest@gmail.com

Folks,

Got My OBI-100 setup and canceled my land line.

I have a few other phones which are now setup to ring when someone dials my GV number. All this works great.

Questions: When I dial my GV # from my home phone through the OBI-100 device, I want the call to go to my voice mail "message" so I can leave myself a a memo for transcription into my gmail inbox.

Instead, I seem to be always going to the attendant which lists out my voice mails.

Help?

Thanks,
Fabian.

RonR

I think the only way to leave a voicemail is to call your Google Voice number from a number other than your Google Voice number.  You could always put a second Google Voice account on SP2 and you could call from there and leave a message after letting it ring for 25 seconds.

infin8loop

A New Year's Rube Goldberg approach to Google Voice Transcription of messages to yourself:

1. Setup a new Google Voice Account.
   a. Do not link this new GV# to your OBi or configure it on the OBi.
   b. Use an external (non-gmail) email address as the user name on the new GV#.  You do not need an associated gmail account.
   c. Under the GV Settings Calls tab Enable "Do Not Disturb" with no end time.
      This will route incoming calls directly to leave a voicemail.
   d. Under the GV Settings Voicemail & Text tab Voicemail Notifications Alert me when I have new voicemails
      check and set the "Email the message to: your-external-non-gmail-address" and check the Voicemail Transcripts Transcribe Voicemails box.

2. Configure a forwarding rule (filter) at your external email (non-gmail) provider used in 1.d for messages with
   "New voicemail from (xxx) xxx-xxxx" in the subject line (replacing the x's with the home phone you'll be dialing from)
   and setting the to: address on the forwarding rule to your existing gmail account.
   Or you might get away with forwarding all messages from: voice-noreply@google.com instead of the specific subject line depending
   on your situation. 

3. On your OBi setup a speed dial for the new GV# setup in #1.  Dial this speed dial to leave messages to yourself.

Advantages to this approach:  You don't have to wait 25 seconds for the voice message prompt to kick in and doesn't require tying
up a second SPx with a second GV# unless you really want or need another GV# on a second SPx.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher