News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

another newb porting question

Started by nedjinski, January 08, 2012, 09:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedjinski

not sure if I am missing something or just don't understand the process -

what I have:
landline phone
no cell phone
cable ISP

I want to get a google voice account - I want to get an obihai box, hook it up to my cable modem and make GV my phone company.

in the GV settings page there is the option to change/port your number.

why can't I go through the GV and obitalk setup processes and then just go back to GV and request a number port, pay the $20 - and make my old landline number become my GV number?

I keep reading these posts that make the process nightmarish - why isn't this easy to do?

Stewart

GV has a policy of porting in only cellular numbers.  You could buy a cheap Tracfone or similar, port your number there and then to GV.  See http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2238.0 .

However, think carefully before taking this approach.  VoIP service (of any kind) is usually less reliable than a landine -- a failure of your provider, Internet connection, power or equipment will prevent it from working, which might prevent you from getting help in an emergency.  Most people who are willing to accept this,  have their cell phones as backup.

It may make sense to have an inexpensive prepaid cell phone (look at Page Plus and T-Mobile prepaid).  Or, maybe drop your landline package to the minimum, using GV for long distance.  Or, your cable provider may have a promotion for their digital phone service.

nedjinski

what I am confused by is that a friend of mine has the same setup and did the same thing - ported their landline number and made it their primary number - no cell phones.

prob is they can't remember how it was initally setup but they didn't have a cell phone and are quite sure they didn't have to buy or get some other service to accomplish this.

what would happen if you just do a GV porting request and pay the $20?

SimonD

Well - if you login to your GV account and go to settings >> phones and click on the change/port link Google will check and tell you if they can port in your number.

If they say yes you're good to go - if not you'll have to hop your number to a wireless carrier first. I'm going through this right now using a friends old T-Mobile phone and getting the $10 SIM card to make this work.

Google won't let you start the port process on a number they say they can't port for you.