News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Need help: Using Obi as a SIP gateway for GV

Started by GYUS, January 10, 2012, 06:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GYUS

I am not 100% sure if the title is correct.

What I want to do it this: I have a cellphone (Nokia N900) which has direct support for SIP account, and I want to make calls using google voice with it. So the task is to bridge the cellphone and GV.

I have found this website which will do the task,
https://simonics.com/gvgw/#faq1

basically, if u provide it with your google account info, the site will give you a SIP account directing calls to/from GV. The site doesn't look it will last long, so I am a little reluctant to use it.

I have an Obihai 110 myself, since it works like a SIP gateway for GV. I wonder if I can obtain the SIP settings somewhere to use it on my cellphone. (like username, pw, outbound proxy, port, etc.)

Thanks for any related info.

RevKev

Unfortunately, the OBI110 is not a SIP server and Google Voice uses XMPP not SIP. You could use the OBiON app on your cell phone to connect to the OBI110 and in effect do what you want but you won't be using the direct SIP support of your phone.

GYUS

Thanks for the quick reply!

My phone doesn't use os or android system, so obiON is not an option for me.

Quote from: RevKev on January 10, 2012, 06:43:35 PM
Unfortunately, the OBI110 is not a SIP server and Google Voice uses XMPP not SIP. You could use the OBiON app on your cell phone to connect to the OBI110 and in effect do what you want but you won't be using the direct SIP support of your phone.

GYUS

Wow, u guys in this forum are experts on Voip.

Let me have a look of that post. Thanks in advance.

Quote from: RonR on January 10, 2012, 06:54:51 PM
GYUS,

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2125.0

RevKev

QuoteMy phone doesn't use os or android system, so obiON is not an option for me.

Ah, sorry, should have known that (Nokia N900). I too have a Nokia phone but I use the OBiON app on my ipod.

hwittenb

Gyus,

I tested using my OBi with my Android Phone's CSipSimple voip client using WiF registered to (managed PBX) PBXes accessing the OBi with one-stage dialing using GV on the OBi.  If your N900 has a regular sip client this may be an option for you.  This technique is not using OBiOn.

In addition to using the SP1 slot on the OBi for GV, if you are willing to use your SP2 slot on your OBi to register as an extension on PBXes.com you can use the OBi as a bridge between the cellphone and GV.  One-Stage dialing on the N900 can send the call to the OBi and out thru GV. 

You can setup your N900 to register to PBXes.  Setup a regular extension on your PBXes account and setup your N900 to register to that extension.  Also setup a SubPBX on your PBXes account and setup your OBi to register to the SubPBX.  Setup an outbound Routing on PBXes for routing a call from your N900 extension to the SubPBX trunk based on the number dialed.  On the OBi's SP2 setup X_InboundCallRoute to send the call to GV which is on SP1 ... something like this {(202)>(xxxxxxxxxxx):SP1} where 202 is callerID of your N900 extension on PBXes.

You can try it and see if it works for you.  As you know, PBXes offers free accounts with a cap of 2000 minutes per month bandwidth usage, monthly fee for more usage than that.