News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to boost signal from Obi110 into On Q Home???

Started by garyw, January 15, 2012, 09:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyw

Hi,

I'm new to Obi.  I have an Obi110 and I'm in the process of porting my home phone number to Google Voice.  I have a concern that I'd like to address prior to my traditional home phone going dead.

When my Obi110 first arrived, I plugged the main line from the phone company into the back of my Obi110.  I then ran a line from it into my On Q Home panel, which splits the signal to the phones around the house.  It didn't work well.  The following occurred more often than not:  I'd dial a number and it wouldn't go through.  I'd dial a number and it would ring once and then hang up.

I believe this occurred because the signal out of the Obi110 isn't strong enough to power the On Q Home boards.

Is there a device I can purchase to boost the signal out of my Obi110 so that it will adequately power my On Q Home boards (distribution)?

Thanks in advance!

Gary

CelticComms

The distribution units for On Q that I have seen are really just passive signal connectors providing differing combinations of Line 1,2,3 & 4 to various outlets. If you are using a unit like that then the load being placed on the Obi unit is determined by how many phones you have connected and their REN ratings rather than by the presence of the distribution module.

The symptoms that you describe could have been caused by a number of factors other than "loading".

Are you planning to ditch the POTS service from the phone company? If you are then that will simplify the use of the Obi unit so it would be worth checking operatoin in that scenario.

garyw

I do plan to ditch the pots line completely.  It is a single line pots.

I currently have about 15 active phone jacks around the house.  Please let me clarify though.  Only 2 of the jacks around the house have phones plugged into them.  One has a traditional phone plugged into it.  The other has a cordless phone base plugged into it.  The cordless base supports the phone that sits on it and 4 other cordless phones around the house.

Thanks again!
Gary

CelticComms

Gary,

The Obi unit should  be able to drive 2 phones easily. 15 possible outlets is quite a few and does imply a fair bit of cable which will add to the capacitive load on the unit but I think that you should still be OK. Are you using one of the On Q distribution panels to feed the phone service to all 15 outlets?

garyw

Hi,

I am using the On Q Home panels (two of them, bridged together) to distribution phone from the source (in a closet) out to all of the jacks around the house.  The Obi110 is in that same closet, so I plan to run the phone out jack from the Obi110 into the line input on the primary On Q Home panel.

I hope it will work.  I wonder why I had trouble with the pots line....

Thanks!!!
Gary