News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call Screening w/Google Voice & Google Chat...Once again

Started by WayneB, January 15, 2012, 11:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneB

I'm a recent convert to Google Voice with the Obi 110 and am running into the (apparently universal) problem of my GV phone not announcing the caller. With screening turned ON, the caller IS announced on my mobile phone, but on my GV phone I GET NO ANNOUNCEMENT WHATSOEVER, although I can (must!) press 1 to accept, 2 to send to voicemail, etc. I understand this problem is caused because Google Chat is doing the call screening in this case. (Hopefully, this serious inconsistency in screening methods will be fixed at some point!) Even though it is not a perfect solution, I've read on this forum that someone has managed to get the Obi 110 to say "To accept, press 1..." when the GV phone is picked up. (As mentioned above, I get no message AT ALL, which is very disconcerting! CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET THE OBI 110 TO SAY SOMETHING WHEN THE GV SCREENING OPTION IS TURNED ON?

Many thanks,
WayneB

RonR

Is there some reason you don't want to have the OBi press 1 for you by setting:

Voice Services -> SPx Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

WayneB

RonR,

I would really like call screening to work the same way on the GV phone as it does on my mobile phone so I can send calls to voice mail if I wish to. I may be wrong, but it would seem that with call screening (even on the GV phone) I should also be able to use the ListenIn (TM) feature to see if I really want to talk to a person... For these reasons I have unchecked the X_SkipCallScreening box for the GV phone.. Again, I would really like to get the GV phone to say SOMETHING when I pick it up!

WayneB

RonR

Quote from: WayneB on January 15, 2012, 02:05:35 PM
Again, I would really like to get the GV phone to say SOMETHING when I pick it up!

Then I think you need to be posting on the Google Voice forum as it appears that it's Google Voice that's not prompting when the Google Chat interface is used.

The OBi could unconditionally say "Press 1 to accept an incoming Google Voice call", if X_SkipCallScreening isn't checked and the SPx is configured for Google Voice, but that wouldn't buy you anything over simply having the OBi press 1 automatically for you.  If Google doesn't provide the call screening info and doesn't present you with options to use, there's not much the OBi can do about it.

jimates

Call screening on the Obi (google chat) is not the same call screening done at google voice. On chat the only option is the press 1. All calls delivered to forwarding "phones" fro google voice can have the full screening options.

Stu-be

Similar but different:   I have OBI 100 and GV for my home line. I "Press 1" and the other person's call always comes through.  HOWEVER, I have one friend who also has an OBi 100 with a GV home-line set-up exactly like mine.  When she calls and I "Press 1" it ignores my pressing and keeps requesting that I "Press 1".  I can "Press 1" until I am blue in the face.  Eventually, her calls always go into GV voicemail.  This is the only situation where this is happening is where we are both using OBi set-ups.  Any idea what would cause this?

richardinmilpitas

So yeah... I've got the exact same problem as WayneB with one small exception.  When I set up a second GV account on SP2, I tested the line by calling from my cell phone.  After 2 rings, picked up the GV phone and received the Google Voice caller announcement which surprised me as my SP1 line never did.  Went to GV settings and found that the call screening option was active.  Unchecked it because I thought I had read somewhere that you needed to for proper Obi100 setup (my mistake).  So, test again and GV phone pick up receives incoming call immediately as it should.  Later read that I could indeed use GV call screening without Obil100 conflict.  Back to GV to check call screening again and... well here I am with the same situation as WayneB... when I pick up, dead silence until I press 1 to accept or press 2 to send to vm/monitor.  Also... checking and unchecking X_SkipCallScreening in all cases worked as expected.

QBZappy

richardinmilpitas,

Welcome.

Back in the day, we had to enable the following setting for the OBi to auto-magically press 1 for you:
Voice Services->SPX Service->Calling Features->X_SkipCallScreening
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.