News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No dial tone

Started by drewski, January 17, 2012, 01:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewski

Hello all, I unplugged my Obihai 110 today to do some cleaning, and I cannot get a dial tone on it now.  I tried deleting the entry on the Obihai website to set up everything all over again, with no luck.  Also, I tried a hard reset on the bottom of the device to no avail.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance, A

RonR

An OBi doesn't need need to be connected to anything but a telephone to get a dialtone.  An OBi doesn't need to be configured to get a dialtone.

If you have a working telephone connected to the OBi PHONE Port and you don't have a dialtone, it's almost certain that the OBi is defective.

drewski

Update here.  I got in contact with Obihai and they sent me, quickly, a replacement unit.  However, I am experiencing the same results, no dial tone.  Trying to rule everything out on my end:  I plugged the telephone directly to our phone line and got a dial tone; so the telephones work.  All devices -  modem, router, and obihai110   are getting power as well.  I tried plugging in the modem directly to the Obihai in hopes that there was some fault with the router.  Same result.  The lights on the Obi seem to be in order, green for power, quickly flashing for internet connection and solid for the phone line.  Seriously?  It seems unlikely I would get another faulty unit; but after fighting with this for an hour, ruling things out, it seems more likely...Thanks for any suggestions.

kf7kip

Ok this might help you a little.
I have been having power problems Up and down for the last 2 weeks.  I find when my internet conection is buggy (not stable or not realy there and ip adress is bufferd) I get no dial tone and no conections. to fix I had to reset my whole network.  I also had to change the DNS settings in the obi110 to use a diferant dns (I like openDNS) that fixed all my problems

drewski

Thank you for your reply.  I would only really like to try this if all else fails, since my technical knowledge is somewhat limited.  It all seems very strange that this is happening; my internet connection has always been rock-solid, and I have had no problems in service from the Obi since March when I got it.  Also weird, is that there was an update the day I unplugged the Obi.  That couldn't have anything to do with it, could it?  Thanks again, will keep this in mind!

fbjd

Take it to a friend's place and plug it in. If you still don't get a dial tone, I'd say the Obi is dead. The million dollar question then is whether it was DOA or after you plugged it into your setup. If you get another unit, try it out at a different place first before plugging it into your system.

drewski

*facepalm*

Ok, I feel really dumb.  I figured it out.  I had plugged in the power supply for my router into the Obi, and vice versa.  I switched them back and the Obi started working properly.  JEEZ.  Thanks for all the input everyone.  I'm going to go crawl under a rock now...

*double facepalm*