News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problem after firmware update

Started by Pete, January 18, 2012, 07:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Hi,

I updated my obi110 yesterday night to the latest firmware and it seemed to work. There was a dial tone when the update finished. But this morning when someone tried to call, the phone would ring, I could hear the other person, but they couldn't hear me. I also tried the echo test and nothing would echo back to me. Anybody else having this same problem after the firmware update? Thanks.

glennw

fwiw, I updated my obi110 a couple hours ago and now seem to have intermittent issues with my device. I updated via the obitalk website, and now, every so often, my obi power led will turn red, and I won't be able to temporarily place calls, then after about 5 or 10 seconds, the leds will turn green and it will start working again.

I have since moved my obi to another switch and will keep an eye on it to see if I still have issues. I had been using my obi for a couple months without issue before the update.

***EDIT***

Still having issues after moving the device to another switch. Unplugged the phone from the analog port, still had the same problem. Unplugged the ethernet port, problem stopped occurring. Odd.

I tried to find some consistency in the intervals between when the problem was occurring and found that it appeared to be happening approximately every 20 seconds:

10:44:28
10:44:46
10:45:07
10:45:35
10:45:59
10:46:27
10:46:51
10:47:16
10:47:36

I suspected that this may be some sort of arp related issue, so I rebooted one of my switches, seems fine for the moment. I didn't see any changes in the newer version of firmware that I would suspect to cause this sort of behavior on the udpate post here - http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0 , but now I'm suspicious.

In case anyone is wondering, my internet connection is working just fine, no other devices are having any issues.

glennw

Still having issues. Something is causing my device to reboot and this is getting annoying. Will revisit this issue tomorrow.

RonR

Quote from: glennw on January 18, 2012, 09:22:33 PM
Still having issues. Something is causing my device to reboot and this is getting annoying. Will revisit this issue tomorrow.

It's a long shot, but it's corrected similar unexplained problems for me in more than one occasion:

1. Disable your Internet connection by disconnecting the DSL modem phone line or the Cable modem coax.

2. Log into the OBi using the IP address returned by dialing ***1.  The username/password is admin/admin, but the password may have been changed by the OBiTALK Web Portal (where the current password can be viewed).

3. Save the current configuration:

System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration (check : Use OBi Version)

4. Reset the OBi to factory defaults:

System Management -> Device Update -> Reset Configuration

5. Restore the saved configuration:

System Management -> Device Update -> Restore Configuration

6. Re-enter all service provider passwords and any PIN's you had set as they are not saved in the configuration backup file.

7. Enable your Internet connection by re-connecting the DSL modem phone line or the Cable modem coax.

glennw

Thanks for the response. I actually did a complete reset (using the button on the bottom) and completely reconfigured the device. Same issue. Even moved the power adapter to a different ups, still no dice. At amazon requesting an RMA. I will not be using obitalk to update my device anymore.

Pete

I downgraded the firmware and I still had the same problem of the other party not hearing me. I finally tried another phone and it worked. So apparently, the phone broke down... with really good timing. I haven't upgraded the firmware back to the latest version yet. That last fiasco scared me a bit  :o

P.S.: the warning in the previous firmware post "WARNING: If you have updated your OBi with release 1.3 or above you will not be able to downgrade your OBi using the below procedure." really threw me off. I thought I couldn't downgrade.