News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

plug in obi100 to a laptop's ethernet connection?

Started by davea0511, January 18, 2012, 09:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davea0511

First of all, I know I'm probably going to be a laughing stock for asking this ... but hey, I'm probably never going to meet any of you in person, right?  So who cares.  So here's my question...

I want to be able to do 3-way calling with the obi100 when I'm at a wireless hotspot (it's actually in a reserved room in a library that I use regularly and while I have access to the internet I have no access to ethernet) ... and the only way I can figure out how to do that is if I can plug in obi100 to my laptop's ethernet connection and use the laptop's network device in kind of a backwards fashion.  Can that be done?  Seems like it should be possible since you can turn your wireless into a hotspot with the cable connected to the web, why not in reverse: wireless connected to the web and using the cable to access it via a unique address.

Would my laptop need to run it's own little DNS server and use it like a router for a private network within the hotspot which assigns an address to the obi100 making it visible to the outside world ... possible?

Stewart

Assuming a Windows laptop, set up Internet Connection Sharing on the Wi-Fi interface, choosing the Ethernet interface as the home networking connection.  Then, connect the OBi to the laptop's Ethernet port.  You might need to use a crossover cable (if the Ethernet connection status shows "media cable disconnected", you do).  If you have Wi-Fi at home, you can test this without going to the library.

However, why do you want to do all this?  Wouldn't it be simpler to just plug a headset into your laptop and use a softphone?

davea0511

I'll give it a shot.  thanks!

>Wouldn't it be simpler to just plug a headset into your laptop and use a softphone?

I would if I could figure out how to do a 3-way call this way (not a conference call, but a 3-way where I can call the 3rd person).  This is useful allowing me to patch in an expert when discussing a certain topic with a person.  I can do it with the obi100, but haven't figured out how to do it with a softphone (am using google voice).  Do you know how, if it is possible at all.  In short it seems the 3-way capability is provided by the obihai interface.

lk96

Quote from: davea0511 on January 18, 2012, 09:34:41 AM
First of all, I know I'm probably going to be a laughing stock for asking this ... but hey, I'm probably never going to meet any of you in person, right?  So who cares.  So here's my question...

I want to be able to do 3-way calling with the obi100 when I'm at a wireless hotspot (it's actually in a reserved room in a library that I use regularly and while I have access to the internet I have no access to ethernet) ... and the only way I can figure out how to do that is if I can plug in obi100 to my laptop's ethernet connection and use the laptop's network device in kind of a backwards fashion.  Can that be done?  Seems like it should be possible since you can turn your wireless into a hotspot with the cable connected to the web, why not in reverse: wireless connected to the web and using the cable to access it via a unique address.

Would my laptop need to run it's own little DNS server and use it like a router for a private network within the hotspot which assigns an address to the obi100 making it visible to the outside world ... possible?

I have used devices like:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052102&p_id=8069&seq=1&format=2 ($24)
http://zonetusa.net/index.php/product/wireless-n/802-11n-portable-ap-router.html (about $40)

to accomplish what you describe. The above devices support many modes. One of them
is to act as a wireless interface and to give you on the other side an ethernet connection
where the Obi can be connected.

These devices also implement NAT/FIrewall functionality. So you should keep
an eye on that in case you face connectivity or NAT traversal issues.

L.

Judgeless

This is another option.

http://www.iogear.com/product/GWU627/

You can plug the OBI110 box into this and make calls whenever you are near a hot spot.  It gets power off USB.  This can be from your laptop or a AC to USB adapter.
I have used the hot spot feature in my cell phone to connect to the IOGear box connected to my OBI110 to make calls.

davea0511

Judgeless and lk96-

Those look very interesting.  I'll have to try those out if the laptop thing doesn't work.  Even if it does I can plug say the iogear into obi100 into my wireless phone basestation in my backpack, then use the wireless phone like a cell phone.  Very cool.

Or what would be funny is to show up at a starbucks and plop an old fashioned corded phone (with the knobby handset) on the table and start making loudmouthed calls to your aunt betty.  Imagine the looks you'd get.
:D